Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I have spent bunch of time looking through worthless crap threads, looking for trail tools. I am always wheelin about a bizzlion miles from home, and don't want to carry a full shop in my Scout. What are the can't live without tools that you Pirates carry on the trail. I carry axles and drive shafts, I run 1310 joints on my shafts hoping that will be the fuse. I find it is easier to change out the shaft than an axle. I also have a good tire plug kit, on board air, and an onboard welder. What say you what have you guys desperately needed should have packed. OK flame on:eek:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
OK I have spent bunch of time looking through worthless crap threads, looking for trail tools. I am always wheelin about a bizzlion miles from home, and don't want to carry a full shop in my Scout. What are the can't live without tools that you Pirates carry on the trail. I carry axles and drive shafts, I run 1310 joints on my shafts hoping that will be the fuse. I find it is easier to change out the shaft than an axle. I also have a good tire plug kit, on board air, and an onboard welder. What say you what have you guys desperately needed should have packed. OK flame on:eek:
orange cones and road flares :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't be a dick Chris if I break down on the road, I'll grab my plates rundoft and leave it. Let some other smuck haul it away.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Snap ring pliers
Some means to catch and clean spilled fluids
Tubing wrenches

Another thing you can do is use your trail tool box to work on your truck at home. Don't go to your tool kit, unless you are going to damage something. If you can preform the basic tasks you need to make a note of what you didn't have with ya.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
plug that fits the brake lines, fluids, spare fuel line, spare fuel pump, misc electronics (computer, doohicky on the dizzy, etc), just a few wrenches, 100 mile an hour tape, electric tape, not sure what else off hand...

·
Registered
841 Posts
Fan belt(s)

Welding rod - both 1/16th and 1/8th diameter. Hook a couple of batteries up and weld away. Not the neatest, but really works in a pinch.

Small misc scraps of different bits of steel (angle, flat, round) for the above reason.

"Bolt box". I have a small ammo can full of bolts, washers, nuts, clamps, springs, and anything else I've taken off a vehicle and replaced. I've used that more than anything else I carry.

Zerk fittings. Dang things get knocked off all the time.

Lug lock socket. If you use them on your wheels, don't leave home without it. I've spent hours on a fellow wheeler's rig b/c of that.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I don't carry much more than basic hand tools. Wrench set, socket set. screwdriver with assorted bits. pliers, side cutters, multi meter, wheel bearing nut socket....That's all in the small amo can box up front but I also carry a action packer in the rear with a couple larger items......Bottle jack, spare ECM, hammer, oil-trans fluid-hydo fluid, Tire patch and plug kit, 1 spare 1410 U joint. In the mix is also an assortment of hydo caps n plugs, wire crimp connectors, etc.
Sounds like a lot of crap but it doesn't really take up much space. I would like to add that I don't carry axle shafts but I have a complete front set in the tow rig so it's not too far away.
Bottom line is you can carry as much stuff as you want but there is always something you won't have that could leave you sitting so only carry what's most likely to be an issue. That's why I DON'T carry a spare tire.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
all of the above plus left hand drill bits.
Good idea. But you'll need a drill to run it :D

Decent BFH, and I carry a "small" 12" pipe wrench. Works in a pinch for just about any large nut/bolt, or to twist, tweak, grab things. I also have a short piece of pipe as well to use as a cheater.

Enough big sockets to remove lugnuts. Folding 4-way wrench is something I need to add. Handier than sockets. Bottle jack is good, highlift actually doesn't work as often as it used it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Best $350 the wife has added to the truck is a Dewalt 18v Impact, and a set of impact sockets w/case. They fit nicely in one of the ammo cans beside the kiddos Corbeau in back. Oh and hadn't seen anyone say spare fuses. It got me off the side of Silver Heels trail last year.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I used to be 'That Guy' with everything and a kitchen sink in my Scout. Full toolbox, spare everything, spare tire, fluid, etc... I had a full tool box and 2 ammo cans of 'stuff'.

But as I rebuild everything and upgrade everything I am slowly tossing spares, parts and tools out of the truck. I am shooting for 1 ammo can of tools/stuff...

And no matter what you pack you are going to need something you don't have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought a crescent 144 piece tool kit for the scout it holds just about every hand tool you would need to work on the damn thing plus its only about 2 inches thick fits anywhere. Big Socket for axle nuts, pretty much all the extra parts you guys already listed plus some extra fuel line, and hose. Hi lift jack.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A rubber tipped blow gun comes in handy sometimes :grinpimp:

x2 on the bottle jack. It obviously takes up less room than a high lift and it's safer to lift a rig with it.

After the latest RMIHR trip, my newest addition to the tool box is going to be a boat squeeze bulb for pumping fuel along with a few feet of fuel line. If the electric/mechanical fuel pump goes out out in the boonies miles from nowhere, it'd be nice to limp it back. It hardly takes up any room yet it's priceless when needed. It also makes siphoning gas a lot easier if someone in the group runs out.

-Gary

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
Oh and hadn't seen anyone say spare fuses. It got me off the side of Silver Heels trail last year.
X2 million.

Easy thing, but also so easy to overlook or forget to re-plenish when you use or give them all out.

Would have (helped) save me from boiling over when I lost my fan fuse Naches last year (well, that and dash lights so I could see that the fan wasn't working and the truck was getting hot :eek:. Hey, what can I say, its a POS and I knew it.... :flipoff2:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
X2 million.

Easy thing, but also so easy to overlook or forget to re-plenish when you use or give them all out.

Would have (helped) save me from boiling over when I lost my fan fuse Naches last year (well, that and dash lights so I could see that the fan wasn't working and the truck was getting hot :eek:. Hey, what can I say, its a POS and I knew it.... :flipoff2:)
IIRC, you also needed a spare driveline... :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts