294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
stats:

63" chevy's in the rear.

Front hanger moved forward 11"

2wd buggy leaf in the rear.

6" eye to eye shackle.

Pro comp shocks all 4 corners es9000's

Moved LSPV to make room for buggy bolts.

Rears up front, combined with the current front springs, and the add a leaf that was in the rear. :flipoff2:

Allpro shock hoops, or something like them :p

IFS steering box moved forward 2" short of flush with the front woots! :grinpimp:

Marlin's x-over hy-steer.

1/4" plate inside and out for the steering box, didnt sleve the frame, but did sleeve the top bolt....ya ya i know. But i reckon it'll be fine.

Marlin's "red" brakelines.

Custom front hanger.....really really custum.....and fugly. but should give the rocks a whoopin.

4:1 t-case.

Stock gears f/r

full spool in the rear

Square d-shaft (not on yet)

ok, on witht he pics, sense i know half of you will scan past all this and just look at the pics and than be like hahahah :rainbow: but to those of you who remember what it was like to be a noob and be proud of u'r first rig :beer:

i had a hard time flexin her out, b/c of the lack of the front drive shaft, and the front probobly still needs to settle before it will stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
looking good dude. i see what you're saying about those rears. you should get more flex out of them... time will tell i guess. rig is looking good though. nice work.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Lowtorious said:
I like the fender cuts. Rear bumper is sweet too.
Did you do the foam fill method on the rear fenders or did you weld in a patch? Looks like foam from the picture.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,735 Posts
Looks good, love the color!!!!

1/4" plate inside and out for the steering box, didnt sleve the frame, but did sleeve the top bolt....ya ya i know. But i reckon it'll be fine.
You may regret this!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you bandit, yes i was refferring (sp) to the chevy swap

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OOP'S said:
Looks good, love the color!!!!

You may regret this!!!!
well, i hope i dont. basically i didnt feel like buying an 1" plus drill bit. I know a few people who have boxed the frame, and not sleved as i did, and are still happily wheelin. Its not that im scared of the skinny peddle i just dont like to trash my junk, if i hear squeelin and whining from my rig, i let off.

like right now, i've got a weird pop/clunk noise goin on from the rear passanger when the springs "reload" (i think i described that right)

anyway, workin out the tweeks

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheBandit said:
Did you do the foam fill method on the rear fenders or did you weld in a patch? Looks like foam from the picture.

i didnt actually do the tubbing in the rear, the previous owner did. However my conclusion is that it is indeed foam, and they look darn nice. i give several beers to Mark (PO) however...his wiring......... :smokin:

·
Registered
686 Posts
where do you live do you want to go to the con on the 22 and try that thing out going with some sonoma boys NP.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
4wheelin4christ said:
i didnt actually do the tubbing in the rear, the previous owner did. However my conclusion is that it is indeed foam, and they look darn nice. i give several beers to Mark (PO) however...his wiring......... :smokin:
Looking good! Nice to see you finish the build;)

I just thought I'd jump in and answer a couple of questions since this used to be my daughter's rig & I did some of the initial work on the rig. I cut and welded in new sheet metal for the rear fenders. The new inner well was sprayed with under coating giving it a textured look but I assure you, it's not foam;) It was a PITA but it I like the results. The rear bumper is 2 x 4 x .188 tubing and the paint was completed by Miracle Paint in Rancho Cordova and is their Chevy Corvette Yellow.

Keep up the good work :cool2:

btw- I take no credit for the wiring. The PO before us did a job on it;)

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
4wheelin4christ said:
Rears up front, combined with the current front springs, and the add a leaf that was in the rear. :flipoff2:

4:1 t-case
Look'n good..... I know how it feels when you roll out a new project from a build.... nice feeling to see everythign working. Just want'd to point out a few things.

I think putting stock toy front leafs in with a rear pack is a bad move for the front suspenions. go find your self a set of waggy's, toy rears, mazda's or something like that and get rid of the stock front leafs in that hybrid pack. the stock toy front leafs are really thick and really flat. I just think your really limiting your front suspension compared to the buggy chevies out back.

I've been running 1/4" plate inside and outside of my frame with no sleeves (expect top bolt) for 5 years.... it will be fine. Don't worry about it. you only really need sleeves if you just plate one side, IMO.

Oh, should of gone duals first, instead of T-case gears.....

And I also like the color and it looks like you did a nice job cutting out those fenders..... especially the rear ones.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rubicrawler said:
btw- I take no credit for the wiring. The PO before us did a job on it;)
sure.... :laughing: just messin mark, and :beer: to you on the awsome tubbing job. I hadent looked into it far enough to see if it really was metal/foam.

what kind of welder did you use for the bumper, the welds look :grinpimp:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
4RnrRick said:
I think putting stock toy front leafs in with a rear pack is a bad move for the front suspenions. go find your self a set of waggy's, toy rears, mazda's or something like that and get rid of the stock front leafs in that hybrid pack. the stock toy front leafs are really thick and really flat. I just think your really limiting your front suspension compared to the buggy chevies out back.

I've been running 1/4" plate inside and outside of my frame with no sleeves (expect top bolt) for 5 years.... it will be fine. Don't worry about it. you only really need sleeves if you just plate one side, IMO.

Oh, should of gone duals first, instead of T-case gears.....
awesome advice, i was rollin on those packs for a couple of days and there way stiff, and.......dont even flex, im gonna see if there gonna break in. if they done i'll try and find some waggy's/mazda's or some think pack from PNP, however i've seen the result of a waggy/rear's combo...and i dont need 7" of lift lol!!

and wow is that good news. i've heard lots of people griping to me about not sleeving the frame and plating, i wont name most of em but sense he talks alot of trash i'll finger *lord orange* muhahaha no worries brandon :p and :flipoff2: for getting that free runner, ....

sorry for the tangent.

Thank you for the great advice!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
snowman420 said:
where do you live do you want to go to the con on the 22 and try that thing out going with some sonoma boys NP.
I live in sonoma.......sonoma, sonoma. :p!! and yes count me in on the con...i need some tires/gears tho, im still rollin on 4:10's and those SS's are "borrowed." I've got some 33x12.5 MTR's on "pretty" rims if you know anyone who wants to trade?

--matt

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
4wheelin4christ said:
what kind of welder did you use for the bumper, the welds look :grinpimp:
Thanks! I used a Lincoln SP175 Plus running 75% Argon/25% CO2 w/.28 wire :smokin:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rubicrawler said:
Thanks! I used a Lincoln SP175 Plus running 75% Argon/25% CO2 w/.28 wire :smokin:
:flipoff2: ya thats what i thought, damn u guys with "real" money. I stick welded everything..... i hope it all holds....im sure it will, just looks like DRM's mom's butt....well not that i've seen it but i can imagine....

and now i sit and wait for him to come and either, deleate this thread......or slap me around for picking on him and being a noob muhahahaha

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree with 4runnerRick on the spring issue.....I just did almost exactly what you just did but I used two sets of rears and they aren't too stiff at all and seemed to flex pretty good on the trail......man, take that thing out and wheel it...you're gonna love it.....I just sold my YJ and built an '87 runner and it's 4 times better than the YJ for less money overall

1 - 20 of 54 Posts