Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am quite unsatisfied with the flex on my truck. here is what i have-

2 leaf RM paras all around. the left rear tire has the shock disconnected, so it isnt limiting droop. i am thinking it is probably my shackles, they are so damn short. so what i am thinking of doing is making a longer shackle that mounts higher in the frame, but keeps my good (roughly 45* static) shackle angle. i may also try and incorporate some kind of swivel think in there, but nothing folding.

so i think that may either be the problem or the junk stock series driveshaft is limiting it??? they werent designed for a lot of flex from the factory, so maybe the splines or angle are maxed out.

any other ideas?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi

Take a look at this site:

www.gon2far.co.uk

This guys does crazy things with suspension......

Regard Bowy

·
Registered
138 Posts
64rovr said:
and for a goal, this would be nice
So lets get this straight Adam (man of many screen names) your ideal flex dosent include any front end flex at all:flipoff2:

Millitary length shackles front and rear would be a good start. You may want to check their angles after you fit them as a longer shackle fitted without moving the upper mount ends up more vertical. This of course means you loose some of what you gain.

No probs for you hardcore axle swapping folks to be moving shackle mounting points arround though.

You only get a 2" slip joint on a factory series shaft but it shouldnt be the limiting factor yet.

Millitary shackles and TI Console springs. Sorry about the pic size but Mark has got his website set up a bit strange and a right click to get the jpeg address just closes the window.

If you want nice flex out of a series then its the front end you need to be working on not the rear.

Nigel

Thanks for the site plug Bowy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Adam

This one is to easy mate your plans/dreams/thoughts etc. are usually a bit more challenging than this.

Even my 109 on 4 leaf TI Console springs will flex as far as your ideal with nothing more than a set of millitary length shackles and good springs.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys i will take these ideas into account. gon2far- i think i will make up some longer shackles and move the mount if need be. i also think i am going to redo the spring clamps so that they can open up a few inches on extension.

btw will, its only been bad the past two days, before that and starting tomorrow its going to be in the 50s which should be plenty nice.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
To help my front flex i lengthened the front frame horns to accommodate Jeep length springs... It helped a ton!

·
Registered
138 Posts
revor said:
To help my front flex i lengthened the front frame horns to accommodate Jeep length springs... It helped a ton!
Adam was talking a while ago about the use of Jeep springs. I believe they are the same length as LR rear springs.

Do you have any photos of your setup? Dont you find that all that extra chassis hanging out up front just gets in the way all the time?

Nigel

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'll try to put a couple pics together of my recent project truck...With the lift allowed by the bigger springs i run 36-37" tires which completely offset the loss in approach angle plus if you move the front pring mounts up as far as you can on the horns you actually improve the approach angle and the way the truck handles bumps (the spring moves back a bit more rather than straight up and down) of course you have to do some mods to compensate for the loss of caster angle... In this case the knuckles (sorry d44/ford8.8 front axle) had to be rotated about 8 degrees back to offset the front of the spring going up...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
revor- i want pics of your truck! it sounds awesome. what are you using for a drivetrain aside from a 44/8.8?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
In the rear I'm using a Salisbury with GM 14 bolt hubs and spindles so I can use some rear disc brakes that match the front.. The rest of the drivetrain includes a '93Ford 302 from a F150 (with mods) a Ford T18, and a LT230 converted to part time. I'm useing the factory rear springs with 1/16" poly shims beteen the leaves and procomp fron 4" YJ springs up front with the bottom leaf removed... I have a new detroit in the Salisbury that i need to get rid of so if you know someone who wants one.... I'm going to a spool... 35 spline you know:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Revor

More pics and specs of your truck would be good:cool:

For instance did you move the shackle mount or just stretch the front of the chassis and alow the axle to move forwards a bit?

37" tyres SUA have you cut your wings at all or did the lift clear the tyres?

Nigel

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have trimmed Series fenders to look a bit like Defender openings but without wheel arch flares the tire will grab the metal nicely and tear it to shreads... What has worked was a significantly taller/wider opening perhaps an inch and a half on each side and two inches above.. The rear openings are about the same but i'm afraid tehy will not be big enough in the front because the T pieces get in the way... So i may move the axles back an inch or so..
I did move the shackle mount back and down so the spring would not hit the frame until it was totally flat..
This one isn't done yet but what you see has been tried true on other trucks... This one looks cool up on the fork lift though:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sorry no pics when we had the forklift here moving in the milling machine... Once this blizzard is done i'll get some more pics, though static, they should be pretty desciptive of what this project will end up being...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts