Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the story,
i work with a guy that says to me the other day, "my kid just brought home what he thought was an old 50s willy's, and it turns out it is an old land rover. do you want it? five hundred and its yours".

to the best of my knowledge (well actually Paul's knowledge), it is a 50s vintage series I 80" wheel base.
no title
no headlight breakfast or any body panels fwd of the firewall.
new tires
motor is missing the intake manifold, but is not seized and possibly rebuildable.
i am picking it up on monday. :smokin:
so i have no idea what i am getting myself into so any flames or real advice would be much appreciated.
:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
WBdisco and his dad Brad at TLR will have the parts to get your new project going. have fun.

JP

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PTSchram said:
This thread is worthless without pics. :flipoff2:

While you're at it, post up some pics of your new hottie...
pics of the hottie on the web.......right..... :shaking: pual you should be ashamed, and just for that i am not going to email a pic to you either, because you will just post it :flipoff2:
thanks pendy.....this is going to cost a looooooot of money :(

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) so flame suit on, i am assuming that if this is indeed a true series I then keeping it "all original" will have to be the order of the day.....
to include 10 spline axles and drums? or can i do some brake upgrades etc. and still maintain some originality?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
aaron t said:
:) so flame suit on, i am assuming that if this is indeed a true series I then keeping it "all original" will have to be the order of the day.....
to include 10 spline axles and drums? or can i do some brake upgrades etc. and still maintain some originality?
Things to do:

(1) Post some pics

(2) Measure wheelbase

(3) Check if headlights are recessed behind grill (VERY early '48-50?), or out in front

(4) Check if there is a round "ring pull" connected to a chain where the 4x4 levers are (again VERY early '48-50?).

(5) Check if there are any external door handles (these were installed about 1953/54).

(6) Does it have a semi-floating rear axle?

As to keeping it original, it depends if you want a practical truck or a show truck. If you want a practical truck that still looks original then there are a lot of subtle changes you can make which are big improvements but are hard to spot as non-original. Some of them include (1) fitting SII-SIII axles (1" wider track - and you can fit these with 24 splines and AEU2522 CV's. The other big advantage is that the bolts that hold the SI steering arms down are soft and can stretch - if you swap to SII (1958-1961) arms they look the same but the bolts are larger and stronger. (2) wiring - lots of improvements to be made there. (3) plastic reservoirs for the brake/clutch - these are hidden under the floor on a series so are hard to spot. (4) MUCH more sear padding, and the list goes on...

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
S1 80in late late 1951 or later.

SELL ME THE BULKHEAD. PLEASE. That thing is not easily salvageable. You will pay crazy money for the breakfast etc etc. Now if you sell me the bulkhead I will be a happy camper and mine can get done. I would take the frame too if it is ok.

Ron

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Hand throttle is worth $50 if it is the early quadrent style, wait noooo it is worthless, include it with the bulkhead.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what is crazy money?
if you had a bulkhead, would you still dissuade me from restoring this? i really like it, seems like a fun project. :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
80 inchers

Its more restorable than the one ron has now . . . You can get the parts it needs reasonably but you might have to bide your time. Ron, I have a rust free frame and bulkhead in AZ . . . I also know of two western 80 inchers in the midatlantic region for 2K one is even rumoured to run . . . if only I had the time.
-Ike

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
Aaron,
I told you Ike would be the one to speak with :flipoff2:

How's Oregon, Ike? Wish I'd known you were goin' to the gorge.

Anyway, Aaron, Beth says you got a better deal than we did on our first one. Me, I didn't realize it was in that kinda shape. It might look better in person, but you'll have your hands full, but the reward will be well worth it.

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Ike,

Send me the rust free 80in bulkhead. :) If you can get it to me for what I paid for the whole 51 you have a deal.

Does the motor turn? My motor is shot and I came across a free RR frame so it is getting the coil treatment, V8, SIIa trans and T-case, I have all the stuff for this and given that the trans and motor and frame and bulkhead are trash in mine, well . . .

Body panels are the hardest to find in my opinion. Frames are available new, as are bulkheads but money. Just keep in mind while a SIIa is easy an SI, at least for parts is expensive and hard to find.

I now have a jobby job so I have money but not time.

Ron

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ron

Ive got enough on my plate at the moment. The frame on yours was fixable. Bulkhead -> less so. Panels are also available new-> wadsworth (fenders bumpers doors and tailgates) Rad panels turn up, in fact TLR may have one. V8 and SIIA trans? why bother. I dont think series one stuff is expensive or hard to find (depending on what you need) More dificult than SII-SIII stuff, but not as hard as say Alfa Romeo Matta parts. Im on my 4th series one and I think Ive got the hang of it.
-Regards
-Ike

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Frame is not salvageable. At least not economically, the bottom and especially the inside front rails are lace work including the motor mounts.

I am going to use it for pieces, rear x-member, and outriggers to mount to the rr frame.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Save yourself some time, part out the one you have and buy this one :D

It has a SIII gearbox in it also :flipoff2:

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the pics do actually tell a fairly accurate story.....
what is in existence is rust free, surface oxidation only. frame even has original paint over 80% of its surface. the body looks so crooked as it is not bolted to anything, tied down with genuine lucas rope :flipoff2:
i get the feeling you who want me to part it want, want me to part it out to you... :flipoff2: nice try
i think i will hang on to it, its not like these parts will be less rare in the future if i realize i am in over my head in resto.
seriously i need all the help i can get, starting with, "how do i rebuild this motor?"

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Ok since you are committed to the money pit . . .

Wadsworth does have repo fenders but IIRC they are 250UKP a pop.

The breakfast is the hard to find bit. It is aluminium and the last one I saw was $500.

Not sure where to look for a windscreen either.

Motor rebuild, have to see what it is. Get a number off it and find out what exactly it is. It is early so, my advice would be change the oil and see if it runs. Hope so, otherwise, good luck! Parts are spendy, and most machine places do not ahve the facilities to do the bores on it.

Radiator, humm, don't know, I know placed that can recore one if you find a dud.

Well in any case good luck. I have a fair bit of engine parts if you need them.

Maybe find a rusted out canadian runner and make one out of two.

Ron

1 - 20 of 49 Posts