Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused:I have a 1999 Tacoma extended cab that I recently stripped the frame of all factory suspension and removed all engine and driveline to install a 3 link front and wishbone rear. Now I think I screwed up. I also shortened the frame by 10''. I have read and read and READ and now so confused:confused: on measurements. I cant figure out the 3 link calculators at all. I Know my wheelbase is 123.5'' and that's about it. All the things it ask for Im clueless. Im not an engineer nor a math major. So my question is there anyone out there willing to help me figure it out correctly. Id be willing to pay someone for there time. I can be reached at 256 717 9827 or ill check back here later. Thanks guys

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sounds like your fucked unless you figure out what your doing. There's a few Tacoma build on here and a few other forums. Hack the frame off and the body mount and rebuild from there forward if you want to get cereal with it.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Where did you cut the 10" out from? I actually cut about 6" out of my frame directly under the extra cab to shorten up the wheelbase and probably another 6" from the rear frame where I bobbed the bed. I actually removed a total of 13" out of my bed though in the front and rear. I planned it out first, but I did remove a total of about 12" of frame. Just measured, measured, measured again, made sure everything was level and sleeved the inside of the frame and slid it all back together and welded it back up. I had to rebuild the rear body mounts and I'm actually going to add some additional plating on the frame just to be triple-sure.

On another note, you probably want to at least get your engine back where you plan on it sitting so you can make sure your links are going to fit around things like the oil pan and engine mounts. Mine is real tight with the 3rd link on top of the pumpkin for a D60 between the oil pan and driver's side engine mount and I would imagine there was no way possible I would have gotten that in the right spot with the engine out.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This is actually for the 4-link calculator, but I believe the values are all still the same for finding your measurements and filling in the values:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/4929623-post21.html

I usually print that page out when I'm gathering my measurements and then it's a lot easier to fill in the cells

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
This is actually for the 4-link calculator, but I believe the values are all still the same for finding your measurements and filling in the values:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/4929623-post21.html

I usually print that page out when I'm gathering my measurements and then it's a lot easier to fill in the cells
You need to 3 link for panhard(and thus, accurate roll axis).

Has anyone had success in using these w a 'smart phone '?

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts
:confused:I have a 1999 Tacoma extended cab that I recently stripped the frame of all factory suspension and removed all engine and driveline to install a 3 link front and wishbone rear. Now I think I screwed up. I also shortened the frame by 10''. I have read and read and READ and now so confused:confused: on measurements. I cant figure out the 3 link calculators at all. I Know my wheelbase is 123.5'' and that's about it. All the things it ask for Im clueless. Im not an engineer nor a math major. So my question is there anyone out there willing to help me figure it out correctly. Id be willing to pay someone for there time. I can be reached at 256 717 9827 or ill check back here later. Thanks guys
Ask and we(Pirate) will help you. What do you need? Where is your confusion/concern. Or call me if you like 818 402 6945

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
Ask and we(Pirate) will help you. What do you need? Where is your confusion/concern. Or call me if you like 818 402 6945

Don't let this offer slip by

How about the ford HI PINION driver drop, I am getting close!!

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
My 87 Ford 60 fits right in between the frame and oil pan. If it were any more centered, I would get into the oil pan for sure. And I have zero clearance issues between my upper link/oil pan/motor mounts. The major difference is building a frame higher than stock :grinpimp:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts