Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time setting gears the back lash is at .08". What should be done to lower the gear contact? Decrease the pinion shim and decrease the backlash. The backlash is already within specs.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
You mean less pinion shim right?

More pinion shim would move the pinion out of the housing on a 14 bolt (pinion cartridge).

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
This is my first time setting gears the back lash is at .08".
Don't think .08" is within spec. :flipoff2:

Yes, he means less pinion shim. I too think that's where you need to go next, but I also think you're pretty close. Do it and see.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The ring gear is extremely close. Is this normal?

I installed the smallest shim that came with the master install kit .010"
The backlash is .003" I think its still high. (top contact) What ya think?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Now I'm thinking you're WAY off. The picture looks funny like something is really odd. Got any more? No wonder you can't get the pinion deep enough.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Are you sure you've got the correct gears for that carrier?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
I called randys to make sure, they said the 14bolt arb will do thin and thick gears.
That's partially correct. There is only one ARB unit for the 14 bolt. BUT, 4.56 and up must be thick gears. You never stated what ratio you've got, but if it's 4.56 or higher, and you don't have thick gears.... that could be your problem.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
Thick or thin...... I feel like I'm pulling teeth here! :flipoff2:
5.38s only come in thick gears...and 99% of people that install 4.56s or numerically higher use thick gears...so it's a non issue for the most part.

·
Registered
847 Posts
is the case split not from 4.10 to 4.56 and if he had a 4.56, and used thick gears, he would be in trouble ?

just something to think on since you guys are mentioning possible wrong carrier/gear combo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts