Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

I am going SOA this weekend and i will be using BRAND NEW JC Whitney 6 Leaf HD YJ springs.

I am a little concerned that the springs are brand new and havent been able to break in or sag at all.

I am wondering how to set my pinion angle to compensate for how much they might sag and such. I want to stay far away from shims.

Any tips??

thanks

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Don't tilt it up too much, it'll tilt up more as the sprins sag out, at least mine did. Besides, you can always use steel shims to set it to exactly what you want.

I would probably only tilt it up about 8 - 10 degrees max. Unless you're running CV, then you need to point it at the t-case.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The only way to stay away from shims is to cut the spring perches off and reweld them back on in the correct location. I'd suggest using shims to find out exactly where the axle needs to be, then cut 'em off and relocate them.

I'm with the other post though, if you stay with STEEL shims, you should be OK. Aluminum shims SUCK.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
If you need shims, Rubicon Express has good ones. They're steel & bolt right on to the spring pack.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys

Yes, i will be running a SYE and a CV shaft with this so i will point it slightly higher than the tcase (to compensate for sag)

Also, i am not sure whether they are steel or aluminum but the shims that came with my superlift kit SUCK ASS and have caused me too many headaches

thanks

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You don't want to point it slightly higher, but slightly lower. When the springs sag the angle will decrease. Give it about 2-3 degrees below the t case to take sagging into account and compensate for pinion rise.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks

SOA coming soon

Also welding my front Spiders and doing a Cable Posi Lock

1 - 8 of 8 Posts