Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm wanting a hand throttle for my jeep. Partially to actually use as a hand throttle when I'm offroad, but more so to control the idle speed. When the engine is cold, I like to keep the idle a little bit higher until the engine warms up and smooths out. I've got two pull cable locations on the dash that used to be for choke and throttle, so I'll use one of those for the actual operation of the hand throttle.

For connecting the cable to the throttle's bell crank, Is it best to use a ridged cable that passes through a loose connection on the throttle bell crank so that it doesn't bind when the throttle is opened with the pedal? (the cable would just slide through when the throttle is opened with the food pedal) Or perhaps a short loose chain of some-sort that would slack easily when the throttle is opened with the foot pedal?

I'll post up some photos of my throttle setup when I get home.

·
Registered
11,083 Posts
Mine is a slip with a smaller cable. The only issue I have had is that the cable sheath will come out the lever assembly sometimes. It only bumps the idle up about 100rpm when it does it, but the 1st time it did it I was scratching my head.

I used an old tension bike shifter mounted to the column.

Overall I really like it. I use the heck out of it on long trips. I wouldn't change anything that I can think of. The ergonomics work out really well when driving. The only odd thing is that the shifter is mounted so that it only activates about 1/2 throttle total. That seemed like the best compromise for fine control over max throttle. I haven't really needed 100% manual throttle, if I am going THAT fast I should be using the pedal.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea, that's what I was thinking if no chain is used, use a slip/loose fitting on the bell crank. Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend, see how it works :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hey, You said in the Moab thread that you did not have a parking brake yet. Check out Micro-lock parking brakes, they're small and simple to install.
Also gotta have a hand throttle in a wheeler. I get all my parts at a bicycle shop. And your pics. are awesome but I would like to see a short video off road again with audio, I want to hear your rig crawling up hill.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually do have a parking brake on the back of the transfer case, I just haven't hooked it all up yet.

I don't have any video, sorry! Next time maybe!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Just a note if you do use a bike cable setup... sometimes the tube can slide out of the fitting on the end. This isn't normally a problem, unless it happens because you floored the throttle and instead of sliding back in, it catches on the fitting and sticks. (locking you in at almost WOT). Had it happen once, that will wake you up alright. :eek: I secured mine with duct tape on the side of the road but there is probably a cleaner way to do it. Maybe heat shrink would do a nice job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts