Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let's get this straight, I purchased a almost new Victor portable cutting torch rig with bottles and everything. Only problem I have is filling those pricy little tanks up. I read that a propane Oxygen torch will do almost as good. IT should work for me since max I cut is 1/4". I have a bunch of those tall blue bottles for propane toches, I like to hook up them up. The fittings are not the same as acetylene bottles. What type of fitting do I need or adapter?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was just the tip. Guess I was wrong

·
Registered
738 Posts
When our company converted to propane all we did was swap the tips. We also keep a couple of the BBQ tanks around in case we run out. the Propane works good but it takes just a tad longer to heat up on thick metal.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I'm down, I can go buy a tip but how do I hook the tank up to my torch? Just find different fittings and adapt them please help.

·
Registered
897 Posts
..........it a flammable gas the hose is the same for act/lpg etc reverse thread.

Btw. I thought the same thing when I first swaped over to lpg.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I swapped from lpg ack to acetylene, I wasn't having any luck cutting the thicker stough 5/16 to 3/8. I used the same regulator that came with my Victor torch on the BBQ tank and the acetylene tank.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..........it a flammable gas the hose is the same for act/lpg etc reverse thread.

Btw. I thought the same thing when I first swaped over to lpg.
I think the problem is my torch is the portable one for smaller bottles. The difference between the two threads is ridiculous. The #3 threads are super huge, and the blue tips are smaller but still bigger.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have a bunch of those tall blue bottles for propane toches
"OK, let's get this straight"
You want to cut with a porta-torch using the little blue disposable propane bottles instead of having a *tiny* 10 cubic foot acetylene tank refilled? "Tall" is a very subjective term - what actual size propane cylinders do you have? The majority of the money you're spending right now is on the fill, not the actual gas if you have a "porta-torch"(MC) size acetylene bottle. MC size acetylene bottles use a CGA-200 connector.

My advice: Buy a 75cf acetylene tank, change the inlet fitting on your current acetylene regulator to CGA-510, and be done with it. When you get a little extra cash, buy a bigger 02 bottle - no fitting change required. If you're mainly cutting, you want your 02 cylinder sized about twice as big as your acetylene cylinder.

Old style BBQ propane tanks and acetylene both use the same CGA-510 fitting, but propane doesn't cut "nearly as well" as acetylene so I wouldn't bother trying to make it work. Just get a bigger acetylene tank for now.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
"OK, let's get this straight"
You want to cut with a porta-torch using the little blue disposable propane bottles instead of having a *tiny* 10 cubic foot acetylene tank refilled? "Tall" is a very subjective term - what actual size propane cylinders do you have? The majority of the money you're spending right now is on the fill, not the actual gas if you have a "porta-torch"(MC) size acetylene bottle. MC size acetylene bottles use a CGA-200 connector.

My advice: Buy a 75cf acetylene tank, change the inlet fitting on your current acetylene regulator to CGA-510, and be done with it. When you get a little extra cash, buy a bigger 02 bottle - no fitting change required. If you're mainly cutting, you want your 02 cylinder sized about twice as big as your acetylene cylinder.

Old style BBQ propane tanks and acetylene both use the same CGA-510 fitting, but propane doesn't cut "nearly as well" as acetylene so I wouldn't bother trying to make it work. Just get a bigger acetylene tank for now.
Yeah, What bumpy dodge said...
:rasta::rasta:you'd be stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime. Leave the lil propane tanks for camping. Just get a bigger oxy/acy tanks. That what I did, I started with little tanks and slowly got bigger tanks along the way. You'll be time and money ahead.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
This might not work for you, but have you looked into plasma cutters? I burned up 6 bottles (of each) in my port-a-torch within 3 weeks. I filled them, bought a $400 plasma cutter, and haven't filled the torch bottles for 2 years. In fact, I've only used the torch once in 2 years. $400 can add up fast in tank refills, depending on your size. I would never go back, even to a big bottle torch setup.

I love cutting parts out, picking them up with gloves, grinding the wee bit of slag off, and welding them on, all within a minute of being cut. Productivity increases tenfold.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This might not work for you, but have you looked into plasma cutters? I burned up 6 bottles (of each) in my port-a-torch within 3 weeks. I filled them, bought a $400 plasma cutter, and haven't filled the torch bottles for 2 years. In fact, I've only used the torch once in 2 years. $400 can add up fast in tank refills, depending on your size. I would never go back, even to a big bottle torch setup.

I love cutting parts out, picking them up with gloves, grinding the wee bit of slag off, and welding them on, all within a minute of being cut. Productivity increases tenfold.
You are correct I really need to look into that, about how much can I sell my rig for? it's only a couple of months old. I got a little propane torch which works alright for heating.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I would keep the porta-torch, personally. It'll be worth it for the rare times you cut steel over 1/2" or so thick. I used mine to cut 1" steel for shackle tabs on my bumper.

My plasma is a mi-tech, same as the parker stuff. They aren't fancy, but they're much better than a torch, and the price is sure right. I'm just needing to change the tip on my plasma, and I probably would have ran through 10-15 tank sets on the torch in the same time period.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think I'll really be cutting anything over 3/8" and that would be rare already, mainly 1/4". Also the tip on mine sucks is small so it can't really cut through much. I'm still in high school and hava a shitty job so I can't afford 500just out like that. The plan would be to sell torch get plasma, than lockers:p

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I don't think I'll really be cutting anything over 3/8" and that would be rare already, mainly 1/4". Also the tip on mine sucks is small so it can't really cut through much. I'm still in high school and hava a shitty job so I can't afford 500just out like that. The plan would be to sell torch get plasma, than lockers:p
I would be tempted to sell it and get a plasma then. I can't believe how long it's been since I've touched the torch, it just collects dust.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I switched from oxy/acetelyne to oxy/propane a few years ago. Other than a SLIGHTLY longer preheat, it cuts just as fast and just as good as the acetelyne. The biggest difference is an $11 BBQ tank will last through three "D" tanks of oxygen. The tips are different, they are fluted vs perforated.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
x3 on everything nissancrawler said!!

...but he's more skilled with the plasma than I. I've used my Parker almost as much as he's used his Mitech (10-12 O2 tank fills-worth) and ran through 10 tips....but at $1.00/ea for an eBay tip, it's damn cheap. I used my torch rig once when I ran out of tips and was waiting for more to come in; another time when I didn't have air/electricity out in a gravel lot cutting a frame, and another time to rotate knuckle balls on a Toy front axle. Torches are useful....just not as good as plasma for cutting small parts from 1/8-3/8 plate.

You can sell your torch rig for $300; $200 easily.
Obviously, you're losing a lot of its value.

Keep the gas rig. Work another part-time job and buy the plasma. Parker has scratch-and-dent machines on sale right now.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
If you can only afford one....

With a plasma cutter you can cut and gouge.

With an O/A rig you can cut, gouge, weld, braze, silver solder, blow frame rivets, heat treat, melt, flame straighten, flame camber, flame shrink, unstick, expand, de-oxidize, oxidize, and light a cigar. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
I just bought an Oxy-Ace. outfit this summer. Victor SuperRange II torch set and a 80cf O2 tank, and a 75cf Ace tank. Still havent had the money to fill them (about $60-$70 depending on the store). I'll be doing more welding than cutting though...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts