Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my serpentine belt is whining very bad. it is not the belt itself doing the whining, but it is coming from the AC unit and the alternator i think, maybe one of the other accessories. What do i do? Do you think it is dirty bearings? i HAVE gone thru some slop lately.... but nothing too messy. How do i get the bearings out of the various accesories on the belt....

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Dirty bearings LOL

More than likely it is the AC compressor clutch or the alternator bearings- If the sound is coming from the upper pass side of the engine.

Switch your AC unit on and off and see if the noise stops. The bearing in the clutch unit will make noise when the AC is off and the cluch is free wheeling. If so plan on replacing it soon. When it seizes you WILL be left on the side of the road. I went through two junkyard replacements before buying a new AC comp/clutch combo.

Alternator would make constant noise as it is always spinning. I haven't had to diagnose/fix that one yet

I guess it could also be the Idler pulley as well- it has bearings too. See if it is tracking straight with no wobble. 10 dollar part- worth having as a spare for when it does die. Mine made no noise- just came apart on me with no warning but a little wobble. Fortunately I had the spare ;)

Figure it out soon or you will be walking :flipoff2: Noise is your jeeps cry for help

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, my idler pulley shattered into pieces one day. but the sound folows the RPM's so i think it is the idler puller or alternator, b/c if it was AC unit, it wouldve seized by now, its been doin it for months

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine was whining and then the idler pulley siezed one day and ate the belt. Pull yer belt, check all the pullies, something is shot or soon to be worse...oh yea, replace the belt while yer in there.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing. I'm off to AutoZone to get a new belt and fan clutch. My fan has been stuck on for over a year now. Might as well replace that while I'm in there. Gonna check the other pulleys too.

Note to self: Pick up idler pulley too.:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, I just checked AutoZone.com and they don't have it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same severe belt whine with my 95' Wrangler. After starting it would whine extremly loud, after reving engine alittle, it would go away. After awhile it got so bad that reving wouldnt make it go away. My volt meter had slowly been dropping over this time also. And when the heater was on high, the volt meter would drop real low and the whinning would return even while driving, since there was a load put on the alternator.

I took the alternator to a repair shop and it was the bearing causing all the problems, they put a new bearing in, and it works fine now, $15.

To help try finding what is making the noise, take a long screw driver, put the head right on the part, alternator, AC, etc.. around where the bearing is. While the head is pushed against the part, place your ear against the end of the grip of the screwdriver. This should help pin-point the noise.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maybe when I head in there I'll pull the alt off and have them test it. Might as well just to be on the safe side.

This may be a dumb question, but why does the belt whine? What causes it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
After thinking about it..

It could have either been my belt or the bearing whinning.

If the bearing starts to seize up, then this could cause the belt to slip, causing the whinning.

On the other hand, the bearing itself could have been what was whinning.

All I know is that the bearing in the alternator was causing the whinning. By causing the belt to slip, or by causing the whinning by itself.

I hope I didnt confuse you, probaly did.

·
Registered
273 Posts
"Local man looses face after sticking ear to screwdriver to pin-point sounds near his fan. More at 11."
:D
I'll give that a go and see what I can find. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
LOL..

Just be careful.. They make things for mechanics that have a long pointed metal piece attached to ear plugs. Much like a Stelescope for doctors, which would work to if you had one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
could be the tensioner

i have a 98 and it was whining pretty bad also. i had heard that if the tensioner was prone to collecting dust/dirt and would make it whine. i used some air and blew it out and oiled it up good and it solved the problem for me. 20k miles later and it hasnt whined since. you might want to try the simple fix first. if you dont get immediate results then you can look into the other stuff.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Advance Auto had the idler pulley in NC- dont know if you have them where you are.

·
Registered
15,321 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing, only it turned out to be another broken Alt/AC bracket. :mad: Fawkin peice of cast aluminum crap. 2nd one in about 100K miles. I'm gonna replace it with a peice made of 1/4" steel. That should at least make me able to put my fingers on the bolt I keep losing, that then causes too much strain on the part and it breaks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Can you get the Auto zone part number for me ??

2Toes said:
Mine's doing the same thing. I'm off to AutoZone to get a new belt and fan clutch.
I have a 91 YJ with the 2.5L and have the same whining!!! while youre at Auto Zone can you find ou the part numbers of the belt tand the idler pulley parts for my 2,5l ??

I live in spain and it is difficult to get those part numbers from here
Thanks
Eduardo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts