Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the 6-lug sf 14 bolt axles are the same as the 8-lug. Putting a sf in a jeep and it has a 6-lug dana 44 in the front. Was wondering if I could buy some 6-lug axles for the semi float instead of changing the d44 to 8-lug?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Short answer, no. The 14-bolt SF has a 9.5" ring gear and a completely different housing. As far as axle shafts go, you can get whatever you need for them in 5, 6, or 8 lug variations.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 8-lug semi float 14 bolt is a different axle than the the 6-lug semi float 14 bolt?

·
Premium Member
3,961 Posts
I want to think the 5, 6, and 8 luf 14 bolt SF's all interchange, but I'm not certian on that..

·
Registered
549 Posts
Sorry, I think I must have misunderstood your first question. GM did put an 8-lug version (8 x 6.5" I believe) of the 14-bolt, semi-floater, 9.5" ring gear under some of the non-HD full size trucks in and after 1988. A cheby guy would probably be able to be more specific. You obviously know the difference between it and the FF. Me on the other hand...

If and when you swap the axles, you might want to eliminate the C-clips too.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Apogee said:
Sorry, I think I must have misunderstood your first question. GM did put an 8-lug version (8 x 6.5" I believe) of the 14-bolt, semi-floater, 9.5" ring gear under some of the non-HD full size trucks in and after 1988. A cheby guy would probably be able to be more specific. You obviously know the difference between it and the FF. Me on the other hand...

If and when you swap the axles, you might want to eliminate the C-clips too.
All 9.5" (semi-floater) axles were 8 lug prior to 1988. They started using them in the lower GVWR 3/4 ton pickups in about 1975. They switched those 3/4 ton trucks to 6 lug when the IFS trucks started, so '88 and up most (all?) of the 9.5" axles are 6 lug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts