Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 267 Posts

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
My dad had one of my ex-uncles (uncle through marriage) who worked for him on and off for many years. Guy was good as long as he wasn’t drinking. He would stop showing up for months, and then show up and work for several. One time I asked my dad why he wouldn’t just fire him. His response was “Well, I know he won’t get or keep a job anywhere else, and if I fire him he will just draw unemployment. So, I won’t ever fire him.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
I adore my dad and cherish my time with him. He's an electrical engineer by trade and very practical. He doesn't exhibit any of the quirks found here, fortunately. After my wife's dad died unexpectedly I learned to enjoy every time spent with my dad. Last spring he fell off the porch at the cabin and broke his hip. Up to that point he was getting around like a 50 year old (he's 73). Now he seems more grouchy and less mobile. He's acting more his age but it's tough for me to see. I know some day I won't have him anymore and it's going to wreck me.

This weekend my brother and I are taking out the bucket truck to cut trees at my cabin. Dad is on supervisor and 911 duty because he's not allowed in the bucket anymore.

·
Premium Member
9,391 Posts
Dad is on supervisor and 911 duty because he's not allow d in the bucket anymore.
I fear the day I have to tell my dad he is not 'allowed' to do something anymore. He has almost 30 years on me and could still kick my ass without breaking a sweat (and I am not in bad shape) . Don't see that changing anytime soon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My grandpa and dad (and brothers) used to tear down old houses for lumber. The place I inherited from my dad was made of lath and plaster. When my dad gutted it, I was the one who had to pull and straighten the nails from the lath. The free standing grain bin that I filled with reclaimed lath 30 years ago is still full and I'm not sure what I'll do with it. But I did recently burn the house to the ground!

-DuckTape

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My father was a decent guy but we were not all that close...Years ago he was dying from heart failure at 83...His wife called me from Arizona to say i should come out before he dies...Then he gets on the phone and to say he does not want me to see him like this all weak and bedridden...I should remember him the way he was...And that's what I did....
My grandfather had alzheimers, me and my father moved in with him to take care of him, saw him every day until he died. You remember the good and the bad.

My old man was late 70s and full on alzthimers and demita, did some dumb shit and got in trouble with state police,there ruling was that he left state and never came back or go to state mental lockup, my pos half siblings decided they would take him on and bring him to live with them in Tx. They came and got him without telling me so i could say bye and started the long road trip with him,all the time thinking he was completly nuts( pretty much was) till they stip for gas In Amarillo.

Well being the stupid shits they are they see dad sleeping in the back seat and think its ik for both of them to go inside at same time, needless to say they come out to empty car. Well they look around and cant find him,call cops who end up outting out silver alert for him, no luck till next day when his nephew calls him in. He had walked approx 6 miles across amarillo to his late sisters house where her son happened to live then, luckly he recognized him and let him in to stay where dad told him he drove there and had car trouble a few blocks away so he just walked over.

Now this is from a guy who had not been to that house in over 10 years, was declared incompetent by state drs, couldnt tell you what he had to eat a hr before and generally lost his mind. But was still able to outwit my dumbass brothers and hike across town to sisters house and convince the nephew it was legit.

He and i didnt get along the last 10ish years of his life due to bs and lies from other siblings and i miss the hell out of him now that he is gone.
I'll add in some grandfather stories. My grandfather lost his marbles over the course of 5 years, starting when he lost his wife to cancer. I was in 7th grade when he passed away, we had a hospital bed in the kitchen/dining room, that's where he spent the last 6 months of his life basically.

Probably less than a month before he died, I was home sick with the flu, and went running through the kitchen from the living room to the bathroom to puke, grandfather perked up with concern and hollered if I was ok, called me by my name correctly and everything. Didn't know who anyone else is, but in that moment never paused to think about it.

Scares the shit out of me to this day thinking what it must be like trapped in your own mind like that.

I fear the day I have to tell my dad he is not 'allowed' to do something anymore. He has almost 30 years on me and could still kick my ass without breaking a sweat (and I am not in bad shape) . Don't see that changing anytime soon.
Around the time they took my grandfather's license, he had just backed over a light post in the yard with his wifes old Buick and my dad comes out
"why the fuck did you hit the light?"
"I didn't hit the light"
"Its laying on the trunk of the damn car!" :laughing:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
So a dad story, about 3-4 years ago I go to my fathers and I can see his 96 powerstroke is all fucked up and he's pissed off.

Did a water pump that summer, put straight water in because "I'll get around to it" January came and he didn't. Froze the fucker solid.

Got the truck into the garage, put a torpedo heater on the engine and let it warm up. Start the truck and its pissing water all over, one place being the new water pump. Told him throw a new water pump on it.

Few days later I go by, he can't get the new new water pump to stop leaking, and is threatening to take it somewhere. I gave him hell and said who the fucks gonna pay for that? So I put the water pump on, got it sealed, great.

Start the truck, water pissing from the side of the block, behind the starter, so I point that out. He's bummed and I leave.

Few days later I go back and trucks out in the yard and he's proud as a peacock. Asked how he fixed it. Pulled the starter, hammered the cracked section flat, cleaned the area with brakleen and a die grinder, and put a whole kit of JB weld over the crack, in layers. I laughed at him and said that's not going to hold

3-4 years later it still holds water :laughing: and he pulls a 32' gooseneck and hauls hay with that truck. Motor just spit a front main seal by the looks of it so I guess I'm finally changing the motor this spring :laughing:

He put a cab on that truck 2 years ago. The original cab was so rotted that the B pillar broke off the floor and the roof dropped while he was driving. Drove it like that for a week, push up the roof to shut the door :shaking:

P

·
0 Posts
I had a lawn care business ever since I was old enough to use a lawnmower but always worked with my dad when I had extra time (best thing he ever gave me is his work ethic) one Friday night during high school I had way too much to drink at a party, so dad came and picked me up. next morning he wakes me up at 5am and our conversation goes something like this,
dad: Get up were leaving in 20 minutes
me: for what
dad: work
me: I don't wanna go to work today and I didn't know you wanted help.
dad: I changed my mind when I picked you up at 1am last night, you better be in the truck when I'm ready to leave.
Dad wasn't mad at me for drinking but I can only imagine the pleasure he got sitting in a skidloader with a trencher all day watching me on the verge of death hammering in silt fence for 10 hours.
That's a lesson I'll never forget.

He is in his mid 50's and I'm 29 now so hopefully I've got a lot of time left with him.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I had a lawn care business ever since I was old enough to use a lawnmower but always worked with my dad when I had extra time (best thing he ever gave me is his work ethic) one Friday night during high school I had way too much to drink at a party, so dad came and picked me up. next morning he wakes me up at 5am and our conversation goes something like this,
dad: Get up were leaving in 20 minutes
me: for what
dad: work
me: I don't wanna go to work today and I didn't know you wanted help.
dad: I changed my mind when I picked you up at 1am last night, you better be in the truck when I'm ready to leave.
Dad wasn't mad at me for drinking but I can only imagine the pleasure he got sitting in a skidloader with a trencher all day watching me on the verge of death hammering in silt fence for 10 hours.
That's a lesson I'll never forget.

He is in his mid 50's and I'm 29 now so hopefully I've got a lot of time left with him.
I have a similar story, my Dad worked us kids hard growing up. I got drunk one night in town and decided I better drive home at 8pm because I had to work the next day. Wrecked the pickup and got a DUI. Made me sit in jail a few hours until he came and got me. I think he would have made me sit in there all night if the cops would have let him. I still think that next week was the worst week of my life at that point, we had a lot of work to do that week. Constant ass chewing while doing long hard manual labor. I don't blame the man though.

·
Registered
18,405 Posts
I have a similar story, my Dad worked us kids hard growing up. I got drunk one night in town and decided I better drive home at 8pm because I had to work the next day. Wrecked the pickup and got a DUI. Made me sit in jail a few hours until he came and got me. I think he would have made me sit in there all night if the cops would have let him. I still think that next week was the worst week of my life at that point, we had a lot of work to do that week. Constant ass chewing while doing long hard manual labor. I don't blame the man though.
My Dad always told me he would leave me in jail. Well I got arrested and after some time the bailiff comes and gets me. I walk in to a room with my Dad standing there (3am) and he says “where are the keys to the Jeep”. The bailiff says “we have them up front” and they both turn to head that way and I follow cause I know I’m going home. Bailiff says “sit down, you aren’t going anywhere”. Well fawk!

The other dudes in the cell thought that was all hilarious.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My dad and I took his dad's car away after he got in two collisions in one week. 1) Hit a parked car on his street. 2) rear-ended a Sheriff's car at a stop sign. Grandpa was pissed at the Deputy for being stopped. Deputy called my dad to come pick Grandpa up and take him home.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I remembered another story about my dad. He always told me if you get arrested you better hope they keep you in jail because you will be better off. So I am riding my 400 cc Yamaha trail bike home from work and I run out of gas. I am pushing it down the sidewalk to the house that is about a mile and half away. One of the local police pulls up and offers to give me a ride home for gas. I ask a guy if I can leave it in his drive to get gas and off I go in the back of the patrol car. As we are pulling into the driveway my dad comes boiling out of the house when he sees me in the back of the police car. I ask the officer do you have electric locks on this car? He said yes ......why did I want to know. I told him lock the doors or I was going to get my ass kicked. He hits the locks just as my dad starts trying all the doors to drag me out of the car. My dad is yelling at me " I told you what was going to happen" he is yelling at the officer to open the door and let him get me out. The officer is out of the car telling my dad he is not arrested I am giving him a ride his bike ran out of gas. I was pretty sure I was getting an ass kicking. He kept me honest and out of trouble, I never was arrested and 15 years later became a police officer.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I am convinced old men turn into teenage girls at some point in their life.

Something was working great till it doesn't. No signs or symptoms and you need to fix it now. Absolute zero regard for the care of someones elses property, but dont you dare touch anything that belongs to them.

My grandfather needed my welding trailer for years, because there was always something he needed to fix, I couldnt have it. Keep in mind he cant weld (mud dobber at best) and i usually end up doing it anyways. Hes very generous about lending out shit that isnt his. After i saw the lease hunters using it I just went and stole it one day and pissed him off. He bought a brand new welder and trailer to the tune of $4k+. The new machine has .9 hours on it in the past 3 years. He needed a torch as well so i gave him a couple bottles and spare guages. Theyre still sitting in the garage. This is on ongoing theme.

I gave him a Toyota truck as a ranch truck to keep him from destroying his new dually back in 07. one day the coil went out and "stranded" him in the pasture. It sat there for weeks till I get get back up there from across the state. only kept a thimble full of gas in it because hes a cheapass and the top half of the tank rusted on the inside leading to more problems and eventually my repossession of the truck. Wouldn't buy new wiper blades for $2.88 and bailing wired a used set off his other truck onto the bad blade. truck had one dent and now looks like it went through a meat grinder.

recently kept saying his HVAC outside unit ran for 3 days strait and was low on freon, which is why the compressor kept running... so he turned it off to keep from burning it up. Told him hes wrong and ill take a look next time im through. What he heard was the fan running non stop since the wire to the compressor had broke at a wire nut. The capacitor was leaking/bad and said it might not last long and ill order a new one. I turned it back on and heated the house back up. He gets back, turned it off, and called to say i was trying to burn his unit up with no freon. Was told a repair man came out and i never got a strait answer what was fixed....

however, I cant run any of his equipment because i might tear it up :shaking: He just an ornery old bastard who cant be wrong, and is a great source of irritating entertainment.

·
Change is good.
35,188 Posts
Before my ex left, I would hear from him once every two or three months. The day she left it changed to a daily phone call. And he’s totally neurotic so if we don’t talk he freaks out.
I know it annoys you, but props to your Pops.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
I remembered another story about my dad. He always told me if you get arrested you better hope they keep you in jail because you will be better off. So I am riding my 400 cc Yamaha trail bike home from work and I run out of gas. I am pushing it down the sidewalk to the house that is about a mile and half away. One of the local police pulls up and offers to give me a ride home for gas. I ask a guy if I can leave it in his drive to get gas and off I go in the back of the patrol car. As we are pulling into the driveway my dad comes boiling out of the house when he sees me in the back of the police car. I ask the officer do you have electric locks on this car? He said yes ......why did I want to know. I told him lock the doors or I was going to get my ass kicked. He hits the locks just as my dad starts trying all the doors to drag me out of the car. My dad is yelling at me " I told you what was going to happen" he is yelling at the officer to open the door and let him get me out. The officer is out of the car telling my dad he is not arrested I am giving him a ride his bike ran out of gas. I was pretty sure I was getting an ass kicking. He kept me honest and out of trouble, I never was arrested and 15 years later became a police officer.:flipoff2:
:lmao:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kind of reminds me of what my dad always told me. He said if I ever do something to get arrested I better have bail money and not waste a call on him because he sure as hell isn't going to bail me out.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
Like many others, my dad is a cheapass. He came to this country with dirt in his pockets. He retired the first time at 54, then sat and drove my housewife mom nuts until she literally told him to "get the fuck out of my house" Dad was a workaholic. He'd work a normal 8 hour job, go to school and cook in restaurants on the weekends to pay for his school. He is a chef, CPA, financial analyst, and all around smart mother fucker.

The family has no idea how I got my mechanical talent, cause every tool dad touches turns into a hammer, clogged drain and can't get the cleanout plug out, beat the shit out of it with the pipe wrench until it, or something else, breaks. It's kind of a running joke now and how he gets me over to his place to fix things.

Phone rings Dad: so the widget is making a funny noise, I'm going to take a look at it in the morning. Me: umm, can you just wait till the weekend so I can fix just the widget and not the 12 other things you will inevitably break while trying to figure it out. Dad: No, it's nothing major, I'm sure I got this. Me: which hammer tool are you going to use? Dad: very funny, I don't turn every tool into a hammer. Mom in background: YES YOU DO, LEAVE THE DAMN WIDGET ALONE UNTIL HE CAN GET OVER HERE THIS WEEKEND.

After he retired the second time, at 70, I taught him how to fish to get him out of the house so mom didn't kill him. I taught him how to tie knots, put on sliding sinkers and swivels, bait the hooks, cast, etc. Now he has a whole clique of guys he hangs out with at the lake. I still go up with him on occasion, but it's his old man club up there now. I will set out my gear and just hang and enjoy the scenery, he gets his gear in the water and starts walking the banks talking to everybody, his damn pole could get dragged in the water and he'll be halfway around the lake talking to people:laughing:

I have very few memories like that, but cherish them. Honestly I have a closer relationship with mom, because dad was always working. She's also the only person who can tell just about anyone around to fuck off,including their Pastor, and everyone shrugs it off as "oh that's just Maria" :laughing:
I'm a lot like my mom.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,538 Posts
It’s funny that you talk about your dad and tools. My dad is not allowed to use them. My stepmother take tools away from him. Anytime he tries to fix something he makes it worse. The only tools he’s allowed to use are credit cards. He likes to joke about that anymore.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I got one from my FIL recently.

He's got a CJ7 that he's had forever, he did a frame up rebuild on it in the late 90s to early 2000s. It's nothing crazy by today's standards (spring over, 35s on beadlocks, locked front and rear, with a 4:1 in the D300) but he gets around great in it.

Well like 10 years ago, he picks up a 60 front and 70 rear from a 70s dodge. He has been saying for year that this is the winter he's going to tear the jeep down to swap axles. Well he finally got a little more serious this year and he starts asking me to keep an eye out for a 14b. I ask him what's wrong with his 70? He tries to tell me it's "the weak 70" I try to explain that all 70s are the same hears, just slight difference in the bearings, he won't hear it and is convinced he wants a different axle.

The next time I talk to him, he's looking for a 70 HD.... I try to tell him they are huge and heavy for what he wants (4" x 1/2" wall tubes, about 6" wider than his front 60 and a 14b is a no brainer. Again he won't hear it.

A few weeks later he drives ~8 hours round trip to get an axle. He starts doing research on it and finds out its a 70-3HD basically a 61 of 70s. The pinion has a different offset, so no gears or lockers will fit it. He gives up on it and is again looking for another 70 HD....

I end up with a couple 14 bolts, 2 with Detroits at different widths and 1 spooled (he was going back and forth between the two) I tell him to take his pick. Nah, I'm going to narrow a 70HD......wtf? Why? There are so many good 8 lug rear axles already at the perfect width? "I don't want to mess with shaving a 14b" :facepalm:

OK, fine, my buddy has 3 of them, he can't sell them because no one else wants them. He said $100.....

A little later I hear that he drove ~6 hour round trip to pick one up and probably paid $3-400 for.........

All this time I figured he was planning on 42-44s. You know because all the drama over the rear axle, plus he keeps telling me he's going to get ried knuckles, rcv's ect. nope 37s *maybe* 40s :homer: wtf? That stupid huge rear axle is going to be an anchor or 37s

He's just stubborn as fuck and likes doing shit the hard way for some reason.

Another example, He bought a 2001 grand Cherokee with a 4.7 that had dropped a valve seat (common on the 4.7s) for like $1200, even though a decent one with no issues is like $2000......

Rebuilt the engine top to bottom, which was not cheap.

He is also the type that just likes to replace stuff, that is perfectly fine, drives me nuts, since I know that most 20 year old oem stuff is 10x's better than new parts store crap. Like the radiator, front axle shafts, and a bunch of other stuff for no apparent reason.

OK, whatever, you have $6500 into a $2000 car, but at least you shouldn't have any issues now? Nope, I swear every week something breaks on that thing. Window won't roll up, heater is stuck on, caliper seized, stupid cv driveshaft went out, typical christler junk. :shaking:

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
My Dad had a lot of unique sayings...........It was not just hot, it was hotter then a 2 peckered Billy Goat. If he thought you were bull shitting him, He would say " your ass is sucking canal water" Another one when it was hot, It's hot enough to breed sheep. And no he was never a farmer. :D

141 - 160 of 267 Posts