Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about it, performance wise, are there any advantages or disadvantages to mounting the shackle below the leaf spring, as on many new trucks (and some old ones)

it seems like it would keep the shackle out of the rocks

Like such...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Mounting them on the bottom is like running a shackle flip.. it softens up the suspension and allows for more droop... Run them the other way...

MIke.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
departure / approach angle comes to mind as an advantage... I think I saw an F-Toy team running shackles up in the rear to gain departure angle...

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Not Tuesday, just asking a legitimate question
Search under my name and you will find a good thread about the advantages/disadvantages of tension vs. compression shackles.....and yes it is a noob question...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Not Tuesday, just asking a legitimate question

looking for someone intelegent to give an intelegent answer...sorry you miss the mark
no this is a shitty noob thread, in the wrong section. this goes in noob tech. so fuckwad, you missed the mark (and right forum)

What you're asking has been answered before.

Shackle above the leave spring is called compression. It isn't as strong. It allows for more droop.

Shackle below the leaf is called tension. It can take a lot more load on it. It doesn't have the same range of motion that a compression shackle has.

now hang yourself

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shackle above the leave spring is called compression. It isn't as strong. It allows for more droop.

Shackle below the leaf is called tension. It can take a lot more load on it. It doesn't have the same range of motion that a compression shackle has.
Cool...all I was looking for :D

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
departure / approach angle comes to mind as an advantage... I think I saw an F-Toy team running shackles up in the rear to gain departure angle...
Other than looking different, its seems to be working for them. They run lift blocks to get the lift back though. They've been running it that way for a few years now as far as I know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts