Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for what angle shackles should be at ride height on a flat surface. 5 leaf YJ springs in the Zuk on Dana 44s. I'm redoing the rear and it's in mockup stage right now just kind of tacked into place trying to get the mounting distance dialed in. It's at 43" from spring eye in front to the shackle hanger in the rear, on centers. Picture is of the axle sprung over and full weight of vehicle on it in the rear, the front is up on jackstands just below the rear's level. No extra weight it in now such as the cage, fuel, spare parts and tools, people, etc. Does that look good or should it be back more or more vertical or anything? I've never really paid attention to shackle angles before and I don't want to redo it again in a few months if it doesn't flex or hits the frame out or something. Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The angle can make a real BIG difference in how the rig rides. I would reccomend NOT vertical as this can make it ride really hard. My un-educated opinion is somewhere near 45 degrees. This should give you good shackle travel on both compression and extension.

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Close to 45 degrees will do. Straight up and down and it will ride like a bitch and not flex. Oh, and JB, you've been here 3 years i think you can take the newbie tag down now. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
45acp said:
Close to 45 degrees will do. Straight up and down and it will ride like a bitch and not flex. Oh, and JB, you've been here 3 years i think you can take the newbie tag down now. :flipoff2:
I've never even paid attention to what was under my name.

What the hell are you doing in the Zuk forum anyway? You joining the darkside?

Yeah right now it's at about 20°. The shackle looks funny because it's one of those crooked ones and not straight so it's not completely vertical right now. I'll move it back a bit and see how that works out. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
13,267 Posts
Just wait until you've got all the weight on it and everything is finished, that way you will know were to set it.

Not joining the dark side- i helped a buddy do some work on his and am in here looking for some idears.

·
Registered
467 Posts
jasonb said:
Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb for what angle shackles should be at ride height on a flat surface. 5 leaf YJ springs in the Zuk on Dana 44s. I'm redoing the rear and it's in mockup stage right now just kind of tacked into place trying to get the mounting distance dialed in. It's at 43" from spring eye in front to the shackle hanger in the rear, on centers. Picture is of the axle sprung over and full weight of vehicle on it in the rear, the front is up on jackstands just below the rear's level. No extra weight it in now such as the cage, fuel, spare parts and tools, people, etc. Does that look good or should it be back more or more vertical or anything? I've never really paid attention to shackle angles before and I don't want to redo it again in a few months if it doesn't flex or hits the frame out or something. Thanks.

45 degrees should be bout right. When I did mine I had them more straight up/down and it rode like crap. Once I got the angle better the ride improved.

That is a very interesting rear configuration. One I don't belive we've seen here where the frame is extended but not the body or the rear of the body just removed. Gas tank is due for relocation and it looks like you'll have a nice permanent rear tailgate in the down position. :smokin:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I set my shackle angle at 30 to 35 degrees. 45 is ok, but should be the limit in my opinion unless you have really long shackles. If it is too steep, it has too much leverage over the spring and if the chackle is not long enough, it can quickly roll the end of the spring out and collapse on the spring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
TheBanjoman said:
That is a very interesting rear configuration. One I don't belive we've seen here where the frame is extended but not the body or the rear of the body just removed. Gas tank is due for relocation and it looks like you'll have a nice permanent rear tailgate in the down position. :smokin:
I've got a fuel cell in the cargo area, no gas tank underneath. The hole where the gas tank filler was through the body was fun to patch up! Yeah, it's a permanent down tailgate. I'll probably flatbed it one day or splice the rear piece of another tub on or something. It looks a little dorky this way but I'm not going for looks on this one. :D Originally I was going to get some thin sheet and box in the area that was extended and make it into a shallow lockable toolbox for the spare parts and some tools. Not sure if I'm still going that route though.

I think I'll go plate the frame and get it tacked up again with a little more angle. Throw in some weight on the back close to what will be in it and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts