Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to make up some new shackles to level out the rear of my 40. Only need it to be lifted about 1.5" (so 3" longer than stock)

Have a couple questions though...

1) What thickness plate should I use?

2) What size/length bolts would be best? I assume grade 8.

3) Do I need some sort of box support welded in between or should I just keep it two seperate plates as it is stock?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I use 3/8" x 2" cold rolled steel bar stock and drill the pins for 9/16". I don't know about the center support, that depends on how long of a shackle you want to make. I don't think you should make up 1.5" with a shackle though, but it will work.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
For a D/D, a braced shackle will provide better road manners.

My Con-fer shackles are 5.25" center to center, and I was running them at all 4 corners.

I cut the braces from one pair, as my junk is now trailered...

Still have another pair.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Shackle is the cheapest. 3/8" x 2" plate is the way to go, grade 5 is fine, I use 5/8" bolts with nylocs. I personally wouldn't go more than 2" over stock. That will give you about 1". With that much shackle lift you'll need some castor shims. If your cruiser is stock you probably need the shims anyway.

You can have your springs re-arced and perhaps a leaf added pretty reasonably to get 1" to 3" of lift with no shackle lift.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
somewhat O/T... isn't 1/4 x 2" good enough for shackles?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I like the 3/8" because I don't like to brace it in the center and the thicker material makes the shackle more rigid.

·
Registered
436 Posts
As far as the bracing goes, you can always weld a brace in later if it feels too squirrelly on the road. The steering will be a little nasty if you run these shackles in the front without correcting caster. Been there ,done that. It will also change the angle of your shackles to the hangers which will have an effect on ride quality if it had any decent quality that is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I tried going the light route and bought a pair of boomerang shackles for a YJ (my truck has a shackle reversal). Great movement, way too flimsy for the street. The front shimmied at about 30 mph. I fixed it this week with a set of shackles from JT Outfitters. The bushings need to be tight and you need greasable shackle bolts. A little extra money, worth every penny.
swon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts