Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you flipped the rear shackles on a 79 bronco? I'm hoping to gain about 3" lift, along with added articulation. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i saw an article somewhere where a guy took his rear mount....flipped it and cut about an inch off the bottom side, drilled new holes in the frame and bracket and moved it down an inch or so. This netted him about 2 inches he said, and a smoother ride, probably better flex too.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
From the factory the spring hangers are different heights for the 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton. Just a basic switch using a 1/2 ton front hanger in the factory rear hanger location will give exactly 2 inches of lift. What I saw used was the 1 ton front hangers redrilled 1 inch below the factory holes in the frame in the rear. The 1 ton hangers were almost 3 inches and the redrill netted almost an inch. I figure they could be moved down a hair more on the frame and gain maybe a 1/2" more but that maybe be too much w/o risking cracking the frame under stress.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Franklin said:
From the factory the spring hangers are different heights for the 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton. Just a basic switch using a 1/2 ton front hanger in the factory rear hanger location will give exactly 2 inches of lift.
This seems like the easiest solution. What years of 1/2 ton ford trucks can I get the front hanger from? thanks everybody for the help!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Basicly any 1/2 ton front spring hanger. F150, Bronco. Van. Any of 1/2 tons using the fronts put in the rear will do 2 inches.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
greaser said:

What years of ford trucks can I get the 1/2 ton front hangers off that will work for my 79 bronco to get 2" of lift? Thanks again
A 3" wide spring is a 3" wide spring.

·
Registered
898 Posts
keep in mind that you may get more than the 3" you were looking for by going this route....

I did something....similar....and got about 4" out of it...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Berne said:
I did something....similar....and got about 4" out of it...
That's really.....helpful.......you fawking moron :flipoff2:

What loserboy meant to say was that he left the stock hanger in place, cut a hole in the bottom of it, flipped the shackle over and dropped it thru, and gussetted to prevent failure.

·
Registered
898 Posts
look ASS.....

If I were going to suggest to someone how to do this, I would simply tell them to use old front hangers....NOT to do it the way I did....it works just as well, is WAY less of a PITA........
but I guess if you're comfortable all position welding next to your gas tank, then go right ahead.....
just chop a hole in the bottom of the hanger, drop the shackle through, and gusset the shit out of it....

though lately, I been thinkin' about in-boarding the rear springs to right under the rails and moving things around a bit....

oh, and :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ummm... can't you guys just get along? Everyone knows you guys share "the love that dare not speak its name"... or something...

:D

One thing to remember when doing the shackle flip is you will put more stress on your stock springs, so start getting used to replacing the spring packs or beefing them up.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Everyone knows you guys share "the love that dare not speak its name"... or something...
well.....

at least I have hair on my legs....

and its very true....the shackle flip will tend to wear out springs...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts