Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons?

Sorry for all of the questions, guys. There do not seem to be a lot of guys who do SAS swaps on rangers with leaf springs all of the way around.

The spring hanger and shackle hanger suggestions did help a bit. Thanks guys! I am going to be using revolvers on all four springs, so I think things will go quite smoothly.

I want to fight death wobble, and still make this truck a very flexy piece. Any ideas are welcome....

Adam

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
shackle in the front pros:
~don't need a long travel driveshaft
~front axle gets pushed into the obstacle which may help with traction

shackle in the back pros:
~better ride on and off-road
~easier on the spring mount (less jarring)
~potentially more clearance at the front of the vehicle

That's all that I can think of right now. Probably a few more.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Revolvers? On *all four* corners? :eek: :eek: They have pro's and cons when mounted on the back. But on the front? No way, the instability would be kinda over the top I think...

Hmm, I'm also not sure what effect that revolvers mounted in front of the front springs would have.

Pro's of each mounting point are pretty much covered AFAIK. I prefer the shackle in the back. I'm not convinced by the "pushed into the wall" argument, though I've heard it many times... IMO, the only benefit of shackle front is keeping better control of pinion angle and reducing drive shaft length changes…

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Regarding shackles on the front of a truck:
One thing not mentioned is while shackles in the rear give a better ride, shackles in the front won't nose dive as bad on hard braking. If you run revolvers on the rear don't plan on having a front driveshaft.

Plan on something like a panhard bar (yeah, I know it's been done before without)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh, I would SO like to get away from panhard bars.

I have a bronco 2 with full size running gear, a 351, coil sprung wristed axle housing etc. etc.

I hate that damn panhard bar, and I even have the adjustable one!

This ranger will be my all leaf sprung rig. I like the way revolvers ride, and I want to try them on all four leafs. I am planning on having mega flex, with 58" springs and full size running gear with springs hung *under* the frame.

I plan on getting the caster at 7 degrees and everything. Gonna do it right!

How close have you guys put your springs to the pumpkin? Justed butted it up, or has someone got theirs to go on top of the casting nub?

Pics welcome...... As well as any good ideas to go for easy high steer.

Adam

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Another thing not mentioned is that when the shackle is in front it pushes the load onto the spring, and it isnt exorbed by the shackle.. which in turn can bend leaf springs.. been there, done that.

Garrett

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hick said:
Another thing not mentioned is that when the shackle is in front it pushes the load onto the spring, and it isnt exorbed by the shackle.. which in turn can bend leaf springs.. been there, done that.

Garrett
This happens very easily going down slippery rock and the front tire hooks a ledge--instant bent main leaf spring--BTDT too. :(

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
58" springs and you feel you need more?:rolleyes: Cruisers can regularly max out a 14" travel shock when run SOA with our short ass FJ-40 leaf packs. If you can't without revolvers, you're not doing something right.

So you're setting your caster at 7 degrees... umm, OK. are you doing a cut&turn on the knuckles too? If not, and you wanna run those garbage shackles, you're gonna be looking at some insane u-joint angles.

Controlled flex is better than revolver-flex, unless on a ramp.

No offense, but it sounds like you need to sit down and really think this thing through.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Eskimo!

Thanks for the pirate welcome! :eek:

Ha ha ha. No, seriously. I like how the revolvers twist really well, preventing the spring from getting twisted itself. I ruined a set of rear bronco 2 springs when they try to twist themselves.

I do have other shackles to use too. I made a set in case the revolvers do not work out. I was thinking of carrying them for backup just in case.

My goals are to create a full leaf sprung truck with a crazy amount of flex, and stability using leaf springs. I did this under my B2 with coils, Wristed Axle Housing, LONG radius arms and SAS, and now I want to have the leaf sprung experience on my ranger.

Let me re-phrase the question; How would YOU go about doing this? What would you do to make it a very competitive wheeling machine?

Any input is welcome.....

Adam

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
If you put the shackles in front run anti-kickback shackles and it helps to prevent bending springs. Best move I made

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Adam McLaughlin said:

Ha ha ha. No, seriously. I like how the revolvers twist really well, preventing the spring from getting twisted itself. I ruined a set of rear bronco 2 springs when they try to twist themselves.
Leaf springs should be considered a consumable item. Any leaf used for "off-road" that will see any amount of flex to the limits will fatigue. If you don't like the idea of replacing leafs stay at the mall, run springs that don't flex or go coils.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Adam McLaughlin said:
...I like the way revolvers ride, and I want to try them on all four leafs... Gonna do it right!
This is a major contradiction of terms!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: If you do it right, you won't need gimmicks and unsafe bullshit to get flex.... unless you're into ramp posing at the mall. Be sure to take a camera with you so you can post up pics of the mangled fawkin' front driveshaft when the front end unloads and cool pics of your rig on it's lid after end-o'ing down the hill when your ass end unloads on a steep decent. Like mentioned above, you need to sit back down and give this a major rethink.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
ashmanjeepXJ said:

Do you have a pic of those... All I have is this old pic...
I can post up a pic of the Jeep tomorrow (camara at home) but here is a pic of the shackles

Up front

In back

I run them up front and in back now and haven't bent a spring yet with some jumping and log running. This weekend will be the real test. Theoretically the middle bar/bolt should smack the frame before the spring kinks.

·
5,599 Posts
bigdude said:

I can post up a pic of the Jeep tomorrow (camara at home) but here is a pic of the shackles

Up front

In back

I run them up front and in back now and haven't bent a spring yet with some jumping and log running. This weekend will be the real test. Theoretically the middle bar/bolt should smack the frame before the spring kinks.
Ill do that on the front.... I like that...

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
ashmanjeepXJ said:

Ill do that on the front.... I like that...
I actually bent more rear springs than front springs. All it took was backing up once or twice with a snagged pumpkin and both springs would kink. I only bent front springs when winching out of a bad stuck.

·
5,599 Posts
bigdude said:

I actually bent more rear springs than front springs. All it took was backing up once or twice with a snagged pumpkin and both springs would kink. I only bent front springs when winching out of a bad stuck.
My Initial design (not final) for the rear will be a 3/4 elip, yea I know it has flaws, but would like to try it...have the stuff to do it..

I dont plan to blow my hubs the first time out :D
so my 3/4elips shackle will probibly do ok with my driving style...

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Adam McLaughlin said:
This ranger will be my all leaf sprung rig. I like the way revolvers ride, and I want to try them on all four leafs. I am planning on having mega flex, with 58" springs and full size running gear with springs hung *under* the frame
Two things...

Revolvers are fawkin :rainbow:

flex is over rated! learn to drive instead.

That is all

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
350 Posts
i have had revolvocrapers at both ends, now i do not. I used to think i was cool because i could go to the top of the ramp. Now i "think" i'm cool because i'm at the top of the trail. with revolvers front and rear and any kind of throttle and it is like a tj with a big lift and no sway bars,scary. and if you put any kind of traction bars and it triples the feeling of being out of control of your unsprung weight. Just build it solid and forget about flex you will be much happier in the end. that is if you are building a trail ranger. as for shackle preference, that is simple. flat springs shackle in front. arched springs shackle in rear. either route the boomerang shackle is wise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts