Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dunno if this qualifies for a noob post or not, i guess it can be moved if it is....anyways, last night i finished puttin on a drop hanger in the front of my 4runner (85), in doing this the shackle angle moved to a cockhair forward past vertical. i know why did this, but i'm having trouble coming up with a way to fix it cause i'm pretty sure i'm missing something ( not parts, but with the concept). i'm trying to keep the fucker as low as i can, so i'm trying to avoid putting a mount on the bottom of the frame. and i dont beleive moving the mount in the frame is an option becuase of where the body mount tabs are located. maybe the answer is right there. anywho, thanks for the help.

ben

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about there not being a pic, i'm workin on gettin my hands on a camera...but as far as the info.: i built the drop hanger...1.5 half further down then stock. i keep the position of the hanger in the same position (horizotally) as stock, spring are stock length ( they are a hybrid pack of some sort) and the shackle is stock. the shackle is slightly forward of vertical (\ ----> towards the front) when under load. hope that helps at all, agian i'm workin on a pic.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
You did take the truck off the jackstands so the weight of the truck is on the springs..... right?

If the shackle angle went past vert (the wrong way) then you "had" to have messed-up and also made the hanger go forward ....

What kind of springs you running??

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is when the springs are loaded...and do realize that the hanger is moved forward because of the way the shackles are sitting. i'm thinking this happened because of me keeping the horizontal ( or x axis ) position of the holes in the same position, for me to keep the stock shackle angle with the drop hanger i would have to move it back a half a inch or so ( yell at me if i'm thinking wrong here). but that's not really my question, my question whats the best possible way to fix the shackle angle with out adding more height, or cuttin off the hanger.
and yes it is sqare, both shackes look the same, just kicked out the wrong way.

thanks, ben

front springs are a hybrid of 4" superlift and stock.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
po'runner said:
my question whats the best possible way to fix the shackle angle with out adding more height, or cuttin off the hanger.
Longer main leaves!

Stock rears, Waggies, or whatever else you can find.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you do the math, dropping the spring hangers 1.5" only adds about an 1/8" to the distance between the spring hangers and the shackle hangers in the frame. If it was dropped straight down, as you said, I don't think it's the cause of your bad shackle angle.

po'runner said:
front springs are a hybrid of 4" superlift and stock.
Was this the exact same spring setup you had before, or did you just make them? Are you using the stock mainleaf? If you take a stock main and arch it with leaves from a lifted pack, it will make the distance from eye to eye shorter, giving you a more vertical shackle angle.
I agree with ErikB and Oops, get some longer springs and longer shackles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts