Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys newbie here jus wanting to know if there is a difference between front and rear shacles on a 88 samurai, and if the bone shacles from rocky road outfitters r a good all round shackle?

thanks, ray

·
Registered
87 Posts
Front and back are slightly different. But will fit at either end.
Your choice for aftermarket shackles. Depends on what you want to achieve.
Remember though every little change you make will affect something else. Like shock length with longer shackles. Or castor. Etc. etc. etc.
Paul.

·
Registered
249 Posts
JDsbusa said:
hey guys newbie here jus wanting to know if there is a difference between front and rear shacles on a 88 samurai, and if the bone shacles from rocky road outfitters r a good all round shackle?

thanks, ray
There really IS NOT a difference between front and rear aftermarket shackes... they are totally interchangeable if you are referring to lifted shackles. There IS one thing to note, though. Trail tough has designed their shackle so that it will let your rear droop further than the oem part. I have a pair of them and let me say the quality is fantastic. They offer them in 3/4 or 1 3/4 extended versions if I recall correctly.

If I were you I'd go with the trail tough ones. That's my 2 cents!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the rocky road shackles and am happy with them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
just know that lifted shackles on the front will change the castor varying degrees. this will affect on-road handling and can cause it to wander from a little to a lot.

·
Registered
249 Posts
zukanuba said:
just know that lifted shackles on the front will change the castor varying degrees. this will affect on-road handling and can cause it to wander from a little to a lot.
If you are having a problem with caster, you can use a 3 degree (or appropriate) shim. I never had a problem with shackles alone.

As far as wandering, just get some poly shackle busings and put them in at the same time... I wouldn't though since I like all the flex I can get.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alot guys, i think i will go with the trail tough shackles, not really all that worried about wandering on the highway b/c its my toy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Super J said:
There really IS NOT a difference between front and rear aftermarket shackes... they are totally interchangeable if you are referring to lifted shackles. There IS one thing to note, though. Trail tough has designed their shackle so that it will let your rear droop further than the oem part. I have a pair of them and let me say the quality is fantastic. They offer them in 3/4 or 1 3/4 extended versions if I recall correctly.

If I were you I'd go with the trail tough ones. That's my 2 cents!
But there IS a difference in the stock shackles. Although they can be interchanged.

Paul.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Already done that, no going back once you've been revolvered.
With an OME RUF and CJ's going in the rear shortly.
Paul.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Revolvers!

Yeah...Rear's all the way around with various brands of springs...stock, OME or Rancho's...but all with Revolvers. MAD flex from a pretty simple leaf-spring setup. Now that I'm coiled, MAD flex doesn't describe it... Angry flex? Pissed off flex? :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Going with shackles at first.... Someone told me that they can have a negative effect on the springs, if so how long til I break one. Sooner than later doesn't bother me though... once it happens, it gives me an excuse (for the wife) to do the yj conversion! BTW I have the 3 degree shims from Spidertrax, they are correct, if you drive on road at all with your vehicle, you will need them.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Hey. I am putting a 5" rockyroad spoa lift kit on my sammi. I plan to use 32" swampers. Will I need to upgrade my shackles with the kit. It says it doesn't but I don't know if I should now while i am doing the lift. Which ones should I use if I do them. THanks
Pat

·
Registered
859 Posts
Red90

They will clear with trimming but you will have clearance issues if you put 32"s on simple spoa w/o longer shackles. I had one spoa'd with 33" boggers didnt like because of wheel rub dropped it back down to 31" boggers.

·
Registered
249 Posts
red90runner said:
Hey. I am putting a 5" rockyroad spoa lift kit on my sammi. I plan to use 32" swampers. Will I need to upgrade my shackles with the kit. It says it doesn't but I don't know if I should now while i am doing the lift. Which ones should I use if I do them. THanks
Pat
I'm running the Rocky-road 5" and I was rubbing during articulation in the front with 31x11.5x15 on 15x10s. I redrilled the perch 7/8 to slide the axle forward and it fixed that problem.

For 32s, I'd run at least a 3/4" extended shackle. If you are looking for a quick way to tow your rig with a towbar, a seller on ebay sells 1" lift tow shackes with a removable pin. They are 2" longer than stock, yielding a 1" lift. IF you ran those in front, I'd recomment getting the same length shackle in rear too.

With that much lift, I hope you are running wheel spacers or 15x10s.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
JDsbusa said:
thanks alot guys, i think i will go with the trail tough shackles, not really all that worried about wandering on the highway b/c its my toy

I have the Rocky Road Bonz on one zuk, and Trail Tough's on the other.

Personally, I like the TT ones much better.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
yj springs

Thanks for all the imput guys. Actually, instead of putting in shackles now. I will wait a little bit and save my money for the YJ spring conversion/ shackle reversal kit from asian auto parts of arizona. It seems to have a lot more flex and a smoother ride when you do the YJ's. Plus, i think that should be enough for 32's right? If you have any info about that, please respond. Thanks alot

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
yj springs

Thanks for all the imput guys. Actually, instead of putting in shackles now, I will wait a little bit and save my money for the YJ spring conversion/ shackle reversal kit from asian auto parts of arizona. It seems to have a lot more flex and a smoother ride when you do the YJ's. Plus, i think that should be enough for 32's right? If you have any info about that, please respond. Thanks alot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts