Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out Thursday afternoon from So Cal to Carson City to pick up the chassis from Shaffer's. It was a nice drive, and we had some time Friday before heading to the shop so my gf and I toured the old Senate building that's just around the corner.

Anyways, it sorta fits into a shortbed Dodge :D

Had to give it a test fit once I got home

A bunch of buddies showed up and in no time we were tearing down my Jeep

It's a shame to send this to the scrap pile....

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another buddy stopped by to see how we were doing

I upgraded to 1.75" DOM tube, and hot dog...the new tubework is MUCH lighter then the half of a tub that was left, and much lighter then the cage I had built out of 2" .120 wall DOM. Combine that with 4 guys and it goes on like nothing.

So once the chassis was on the frame, I started gutting the dash. My plan is to use the stock gauges and steering column. Something I've discovered while going through this is that Shaffer's has designed everything so exact that you could easily use the cowl, firewall and even the dash without very much modification. I'll be making an aluminum dash and mounting the factory gauges under a slot cut in the dash.

There is A LOT of room in this thing too. The tubework is as wide as the tub, so you've got about 56" of space in between the outer tubes. I could almost fit a third seat in the front. OK maybe a teen seat.

Today I cut out the firewall and cowl and trimmed it to fit. Very minor trimming. I'll probably be picking up another cowl since this one has seen the rocks before. I'm still undecided on building a firewall or just using what I've got now. There are positives and negatives to each, but just using the stock piece is so easy I may go with that.

The hood needs to be trimmed to close all the way, about 2", or the grill needs to be raise, or the tubework dropped a little. It seems to sit pretty tall right now so I may do that. I've got some figuring to do in the next couple of days so I probably won't have much in the way of updates until later this week. Want to make sure I go the right route the first time.

Looking forward to starting work on the 4 link also. I'll be using 2.5" Johnny Joints, fixed on the axle end, and 1.25" shank on the frame end. I might be doing same length uppers and lowers, can you say beef?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
for now the stock firewall is there, fits great with an inch and a half trimmed on each side below the cowl. Not sure if it's staying but it sure will be faster. This could be built in a couple of weekends by most people if you keep the custom stuff to a minimum...very nice

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
fledgling666 said:
just can't help wondering what was wrong with what you had?
How about it wasn't a cool product from Schaefer? Besides, those of us who know him are not even remotely surprised that he would change it. He does about every season anyway. I've never seen his rig look the same 2 seasons in a row.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
mrblaine said:
How about it wasn't a cool product from Schaefer? Besides, those of us who know him are not even remotely surprised that he would change it. He does about every season anyway. I've never seen his rig look the same 2 seasons in a row.

i can relate to that, but i bet once he gets this thing done, you wont see it change too much.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fledgling666 said:
just can't help wondering what was wrong with what you had?
Nothing really. I REALLY liked the design of the cage, both functionally and aesthetically. Everything "noded up" rather well and it served my purpose well. I wouldn't have minded keeping that for awhile. However, it's no Diablo, and a pro built cage/chassis is nice to have over my head. The Diablo has long been one of my favorite chassis designs so this is really cool for me. Blaine's right about how often I change everything too. My last cage I ran for one season. I was still making some changes to the setup I just tore down, mostly fine tuning. It's rare that it looks the same 2 trips in a row, let alone 2 seasons. I do something, if it works, I try something else, if not, I'll make it work or admit defeat. How else am I going to become a world class fabricator that knows what works and what doesn't?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
biggreentj said:
i can relate to that, but i bet once he gets this thing done, you wont see it change too much.
hopefully :) It gets expensive trying to get all that experience

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Instead of sending this to the scrap pile:

Why not sell it to someone that wants a pretty solid start on their rig? someone will grab it for a good price.

BTW, you are hauling ass

Dima

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Flatty said:
Instead of sending this to the scrap pile:

Why not sell it to someone that wants a pretty solid start on their rig? someone will grab it for a good price.

BTW, you are hauling ass

Dima
Call it a Show bar and not a Cage

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
geberhard said:
SoCal! Coming up way nice and fast! Any idea yet on what you are going to do skin wise? Plastic?

keep it coming!

Gui
probably aluminum and a wrap. undecided what design but it'll be cool. I have a couple themes bouncing around my head right now. Can't decide what color to paint the tube, hot pink seems to be a popular suggestion :D

1 - 20 of 171 Posts