Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What material do you use for the main chassis?
Thanks.
This is all 3/16 and 1/4 steel brake line , its cheap and easy to work with but still pretty soft . I dont bash or race my rigs so they do just fine. Check out Stock Car Steel for some DOM tube or cromoly , shipping to Australia is a killer so I use what I can get .

·
Registered
755 Posts
This is all 3/16 and 1/4 steel brake line , its cheap and easy to work with but still pretty soft . I dont bash or race my rigs so they do just fine. Check out Stock Car Steel for some DOM tube or cromoly , shipping to Australia is a killer so I use what I can get .
Thanks buddy, Do you ever MIG wed the brake line? or do you only braze it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks buddy, Do you ever MIG wed the brake line? or do you only braze it?
The wall thickness is way too thin to mig , a good tig maybe but brazing is too easy. A few guys build with solid rod and mig or tig that with good results . It does add a heap of weight to the rig ( and strength ) that is generally up high on the chassis which isnt ideal for a low COG.

·
Registered
755 Posts
The wall thickness is way too thin to mig , a good tig maybe but brazing is too easy. A few guys build with solid rod and mig or tig that with good results . It does add a heap of weight to the rig ( and strength ) that is generally up high on the chassis which isnt ideal for a low COG.
Thanks buddy,
I think i may start on a chassis build for my wraith this weekend. I'll post up a thread if I do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for posting the chassis pics. That and you Miller rig are over the top!

Have you checked out WarPig's Bronco build on RCCrawler?

·
Apple
11,695 Posts
that's a clean job, good work!

I've been using a 90amp flux core on my 1/4" brakeline with good results, except I have to hit it with a flap wheel to get rid of the weld splatter.

I've been brazing too, lately. I started with 1/8" brazing rod with mixed results, and just went to 1/16" and it seems to flow much easier.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

Father and Son , circa 2014.

Here's a pic of my latest build , It's Wayland Campbells old 2 seater Ultra4 car built on narrowed AR60's , Pro4, RX8 , titanium panels.
Same again , straight axle front , there is nothing in the RC world that performs as well as this so I'm sticking with it .
This is a work in progress but I'll add some more pics as it goes along.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Playing around with a new camera , trying to get some better images than with a phone . Pretty pleased so far .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those are absolutely beautiful machines! I've loved RC cars since the 80's when I first saw one, and many have come and gone since then, but never had any like that. That you hand craft them is a whole nother level of the hobby.

·
Registered
755 Posts
What's your price on building another miller motorsports chassis..

Minus electronics, shocks, axles, wheels, tires, motor, transmission?

I have a brushless wraith- buggy that I built. Basically took the electronics out of a Yeti and combined it with my built wraith... and built a chassis around the wraith skid plate.

Thanks.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts