Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to try something and it was met with good success. So I thought I'd throw the idea out there for others to try if they want.

I am of the personal opinion that by and large, most non-wheelers, given and unbiased exposure to our sport, are afterwards not opposed to it - they probably even would support the right to off-road responsibly on public land. But the key words there are "unbiased exposure." That's hard to get for our side nowadays. It seems like the left and the eco-nazis hold all the high ground as far as the press goes. So I thought I'd try and push back a bit on it. I have noticed -spending far too much time in doctor's offices lately - that their selection of magazines is almost always VERY slanted to the left-wing causes. So having a huge stack of old 4x4 magazines around, I took about 1/2 dozen with me to the local medical clinic today. I left one in the main waiting area, a couple in the waiting room I was in (somewhat covertly in case they didn't approve) and then offered the last couple to the staff there for the other rooms. Their response? They were ELATED and said the clinic doesn't get nearly enough magazines for all the rooms, the waiting room, etc. and they often are BORING and patients have occasionally complain even during long waits. When I mentioned I had dozens more they said to bring a bunch in and they'd put them throughout the rooms!

How many of us occasionally end up at the doctor or dentist office? How many of us have a few/many old 4x4 magazines around? Why not put those magazines to good use and put them directly in the hands of folks that otherwise might have no real contact with our sport other than through the very slanted media?

Just a thought for y'all!

·
Registered
13,348 Posts
Drop some off at my dentist! I'm gettin' tired of reading the same old Field and Stream!:laughing:

·
5,729 Posts
Great idea!!

Think about it...all you usually see is "Womans Day", People", Redbook". My man doesn't like em'. I'd pick up and off-road mag over a girly mag any day!!

Thanks for the idea!
Jen

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thats a great idea but I love my old mags to look at old tech and stuff.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I like that idea! but I'm with Dan... I like to keep mine.

I know it would cost a few extra $ but maybe buying them a subscription would be a better idea... then you get to keep your own mags yourself...

It's too bad the mags don't do more coverage on trail cleanup events and fundraisers... then we would be getting some seriously good exposure here... But I guess that stuff doesn't sell magazines.

Maybe a good Idea would be to write to the magazines asking them to add articles of that nature without removing the other content that we read. Maybe we could get at least one of the major off road magazines to commit to one large full color feature article per month regarding some of the good stuff that wheelers do:

-Trail Cleanup / maintainance and improvement
-Fund Raisers / Charity events
-Family Stuff
-Search and Rescue

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just threw away well over a 100 of them. I wish this would of came up earlier.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good idea. I've done it several times.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts