Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a lathe and found a Sharp 1440 does anyone else out there have one or have used one? From what I have found online the 14" swing should be big enough, it is 3 phase but I will get a static converter now for it. Any ideas guys? The thing that I do not like is this guy is being wishy washy on the price and I can not get him to just give me a price. My attitude is if you want it out of the shop to make room and I need to provide the fork lift the price is going to be alot lower than I think he wants.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
If you showed up with $1000 in hand, and a way to load and remove it... he might not be so wishy washy.

No idea on a "Sharp" -- not sure if Taiwan Junk, or a decent older machine.

Tooling -- the more tooling that comes with it, the better. If the guy is planning on keeping all the tooling... for a similiar sized lathe, well he is getting rid of it for a reason. Then again if he has a 8" tool room lathe, and just bought a 16" Lathe, but needs the room... might be a decent deal.

What type of chuck mount? Screw on, D or L styles?
Collet closer attachment?
Taper Attachment?
Tool post tooling? Aloris?

Lathe could be worth $200 (scrap) to $4000 for a reasonable size home machine.

Usually when guys don't give me a price, they are clueless and I don't waste my time with them.

Riggers here charge a $500 minimum -- Lathe might weigh in around 2500#, so use caution moving it (i.e. strap under the bed, don't lift by the chuck)

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a link to the model:
http://www.sharp-industries.com/specs/13f14f.htm
Here is the tooling that is going with it:
3-jaw, 8" scroll chuck
4-jaw, 8" scroll chuck
4-jaw, 6" scroll chuck
4-jaw, 8" independent chuck
face plate 12"
coolant system
Dorain quick change tool post
Micrometter carriage stop
4 position carriage stop
Taper attachment
Follow rest
Steady rest
5C-lever collet closer

I told him I would come by next week and check it out.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Spec's & included tooling list look good.

Still no idea who Sharp Industries is. I suspect it is a "made in China" machine, but lots of different levels of qualities, might be a decent machine.

Do you have anyone to check it out? First time I looked at my lathe I really didn't know what I was looking at. Thankfully it was a stout machine that you can not kill, but I have NEVER gotten the screwed on chuck off. Finally learned I really didn't need to, but would have been nice to have checked that before buying it! <grin>

Tom :usa:

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Sharp is Taiwan stuff but wouldn't call it junk at all. I have a Sharp mill and work in another shop that had one and both worked very well and were/are nice machines to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts