Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much clearance advantage (over stock) did you gain from grinding off as much material as possible or cutting and re-welding the bottom of your 14 Bolt?
The question is regarding the actual amount of material lost, not ground clearance since there are just to many variables there.

·
Premium Member
14,734 Posts
Theres a thread on this in hardcore jeep I think
Numerous I believe.

Cutting, plating, and shaving the ring gear will obviously have more clearance than just shaving. If you are gonna cut and re-weld you best shave it or it's IMHO not worth the effort.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cutting, plating, and shaving the ring gear will obviously have more clearance than just shaving.
That's the point of this thread... how much? There are many threads that cover shaving. What I'm trying to do is draw a comparison of how much was actually gained.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
I also offer a shave kit that works with a 1/8" shaved ring, 3/8 bottom plate broken to match the rounded lower profile of the housing, 1/4" ring and cover plates, (available as weld up or DIY for a few $ less). I did the first one on my table in the summer of 08, didn't know there was this much demand for a kit:laughing: Oh well, snoozing and losing again

Toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822816&page=3

FWIW, the one I did in 08 and saved the files for ran a season of xrra on it and KOH, along with lots of Clayton and Katemcy. No failures:smokin:

I believe there is a 5.5" difference between the bottom of tubes and bottom of the housing at the lowest point (near cover lip, your rear end is rolled up, a flat plate on the bottom doesn't gain much when its on the rig if your plate is perp. to the cover face).

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
You arent going to gain much by just trimming and grinding.

heres a comparison pic of how far my 14bolt is shaved. Copperhead42, and Tripod are both shaved this deep using the Vertical Limits kit.

Thanks copperhead for the pic.

and heres mine done and on my buggy a year ago July.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Great info... and liking the idea of a "kit" to get the ball rolling. How about keeping us updated on availability. Short cut = Good :flipoff2:

Seeing the difference (pic worth a 1000 words) really tells the story of why all that work is worth it, specially if your not running a huge tire.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
a 1/4" would be a lot, but there are those that have gone more.
I already have a ring, plate and cover plates drawn and have burned several sean. Just a matter of pushing run one more time, and braking the bottom plate/cover plates.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts