Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i used 1/2" bottom plate and ground into that to clear the ring gear, figured it was easier than grinding the ring gear..

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
i used 1/2" bottom plate and ground into that to clear the ring gear, figured it was easier than grinding the ring gear..
Shaving the ring gear is not hard to do at all. I think its worth doing if your going to all the effort to cut your housing anyway. Kelly's (blacksheep10) kit made this whole process a lot easier and he can always shave the ring gear for you :D Here is the almost finished picture of mine

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
here you can see the line where I cut it down to an 11 bolt..

here the housing cut..

i had to grind a 1/4" groove in the 1/2" plate for the ring gear to clear.. i then feathered that groove out on the plate for about an inch to let the oil in around everything.. it's held up for a few years now..

and i bet i have just as much clearance as shaving that ring gear and i didn't have to do anything special.. i have since rotated my pinion up a bunch and had to shave my diff cover for more clearance.. i did the same thing with that, used half inch plate and ground a groove in it to clear the ring gear..

some pictures of it finished..

that last picture is with some flat 38" SX's.. and yes.. my pinion is really rotated up that much..:flipoff2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i had to grind a 1/4" groove in the 1/2" plate for the ring gear to clear.. i then feathered that groove out on the plate for about an inch to let the oil in around everything.. it's held up for a few years now..
All said and done, about how much clearance did you gain over stock?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
the bottom of my plate came to the inside of the housing at the lowest point.. so from there out i lost.. 1.5" maybe at the most.. but it still hits every damn thing on the trails..

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
What size monitor are you viewing on? What zoom setting? Font size? Details man, details:flipoff2:

Oh crap, sorry. I am viewing it on a 19" monitor, 100% zoom. Font size 12!

I dont have any good pics of the 14ff I shaved but here it is with the stock cover on it. There was a gap of about 3/16" where that duct tape is.

Not the greatest pics. I am bad about not taking pics until it's too late!:D I shaved 2.5"-2.75"(not sure on the exact measurement) I had to turn 1/4" off the ring gear. Even taking that much off, it did not effect the gear patturn. I recessed a chunk of 1/2" plate into the hole that was let after shaving. I didnt get this set up completely finished before selling it but this was the second one that I did. The first one is still going strong, as far as I know:D

After reading back thru, This is a good pic to illistrate where and how I cut/plated mine

14bshaved%20after%20cut.jpg

Ok, the red box is the 1/2" plate bottom. Yellow arrow it where I cut mine, from top of that hole to the top of the same hole on the other side. The black arrow shows how I recessed the plate flush with the bottom of the housing. Welded it inside and out. The ring gear fit with about 1/16" clearance between the plate and the gear. It ended up being about 5.5" from axle CL to the bottom of the housing.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
here you can see the line where I cut it down to an 11 bolt..

here the housing cut..

Dont take this as being picked on or made fun of etc... Its pirate and we all know you have to have thick skin here.

I've seen tons of shaves done exactly how you did yours, and I truely do not like it. Not the work or labor, but the cut. How and where.

To use yours an example of how I do not think they should be done. You layed your housing out flat on the work bench and made a flat/level/horizontal to the ground cut. But is that truely how the axle looks when mounted???? No clearly and yours in an extreme case you rotate the SNOUT way up.

So when you went and rotated your housing up in the rig that FLAT bottom shave you did ends up as just a ramp for rocks, and you are not gaining near as much as you are in ground clearance as how we do ours.

The way we do our shaves is to cut the housing parallel to the ground with the snout at the same angle it will be under the rig. What you do have to do when you do this type of cut and as deep as we have been going is clearance the inside of the housing on the top so that the carrier and installed ringgear can still fit through the opening into the housing. Thats the true limiting factor of how far you can shave one of these axles.

Check this out to understand where I'm coming from.

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
What you do have to do when you do this type of cut and as deep as we have been going is clearance the inside of the housing on the top so that the carrier and installed ringgear can still fit through the opening into the housing. Thats the true limiting factor of how far you can shave one of these axles.

Check this out to understand where I'm coming from.
Wyatt, to clarify, you have to grind the shit out of the inside of the housing on the top. Pretty much to the bolt hole, then again where the ring gear bolts go on the left.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would like to see some pictures of this grinding on the upper part to fit the ring gear back in. Mine is under the rig and due for a rebuild after new years so it is a perfect time to cut. Plan is to cut it under the rig and then pull it and rebuild it. Might build the matching 14 for the front at the same time, but I want to get the shave right first.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
I would like to see some pictures of this grinding on the upper part to fit the ring gear back in. Mine is under the rig and due for a rebuild after new years so it is a perfect time to cut. Plan is to cut it under the rig and then pull it and rebuild it. Might build the matching 14 for the front at the same time, but I want to get the shave right first.
A little MS PAINT and Devil Dogs picture.

You'll need to clearance the area in the red oval to fit the ring gear back in the case if you shave yours like the right diff in Exhibit A.

Attachments

·
11,307 Posts
I would say shaving the gear about 1/4 could be done (a few people here have done it). There isa nother discussion going on on the strength of the ring being lost due to shaving the gear on another thread, so I woudl say search for that ingo.

I shaved mine as much as I coould without doing a full bottom cut. I would say was a night and day difference from the original anchor.

First take a big chunk out,

then grind smooth the bottom.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts