Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Has there been any gear oil leakage issues with this thirteen bolt set up? Very clean.
the axle has not been put to use yet. im going to say that if it gets hit enough more than likely it will, atleast a little bit. usually most axles do when you keep smashing the cover. i just really liked how my friend did it cause its not over kill and i dont see a rock hanging you up that bad anymore with the bottom smooth like that.

·
Registered
746 Posts
How about a measurement from the axle center line down to the bottom? Before and after the shave with the axle installed in the rig. That would give a good comparison of shave styles.

Personally, I like a Brazillian cut.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
How about a measurement from the axle center line down to the bottom? Before and after the shave with the axle installed in the rig. That would give a good comparison of shave styles.

Personally, I like a Brazillian cut.
I as well preference the Brazillian.

If you look at that diagram above its very clear that shaving with the pinion parallel to the ground and not at the installed angle you are cutting material away in the wrong place unless your pinion truely is flat (parallel with the ground) when installed in the vehicle.

I guess I could go get a measurement from the ground to bottom of axle tube or go right angle square off the bottom of the axle tube to get that measurement.

From another thread I posted
13" of clearance at the diff on 39" BFG Red Labels with 10psi
18.5" to center of axle tube

So from center of axle tube to bottom of diff is 5.5"s

I gained almost 2" over the D60 (rearsteer axle) I had in before

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Dont take this as being picked on or made fun of etc... Its pirate and we all know you have to have thick skin here.

I've seen tons of shaves done exactly how you did yours, and I truely do not like it. Not the work or labor, but the cut. How and where.

To use yours an example of how I do not think they should be done. You layed your housing out flat on the work bench and made a flat/level/horizontal to the ground cut. But is that truely how the axle looks when mounted???? No clearly and yours in an extreme case you rotate the SNOUT way up.

So when you went and rotated your housing up in the rig that FLAT bottom shave you did ends up as just a ramp for rocks, and you are not gaining near as much as you are in ground clearance as how we do ours.

The way we do our shaves is to cut the housing parallel to the ground with the snout at the same angle it will be under the rig. What you do have to do when you do this type of cut and as deep as we have been going is clearance the inside of the housing on the top so that the carrier and installed ringgear can still fit through the opening into the housing. Thats the true limiting factor of how far you can shave one of these axles.

Check this out to understand where I'm coming from.
no offense taken here.. that's been the only one i've done.. and you are absolutely correct.. and it got worse when i rotated the pinion up.. to where the diff cover was the low point.. so i shaved that off also..

you live and learn..

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
no offense taken here.. that's been the only one i've done.. and you are absolutely correct.. and it got worse when i rotated the pinion up.. to where the diff cover was the low point.. so i shaved that off also..

you live and learn..
Exhibit A will help alot of people vision the differences in the 2 cuts. So Wyatt, who drew that up for you?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So from center of axle tube to bottom of diff is 5.5"s

I gained almost 2" over the D60 (rearsteer axle) I had in before
How much of a gain would that be over a stock 14B? Mine is buried in snow right now and I'm to lazy to go check it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Exhibit A will help alot of people vision the differences in the 2 cuts. So Wyatt, who drew that up for you?:flipoff2:
Steve Snyder of TGTW Offroad he goes by "Tripod" on here.

How much of a gain would that be over a stock 14B? Mine is buried in snow right now and I'm to lazy to go check it. :flipoff2:

man I dunno, I think it was 2.25" but I may be wrong. Sorry I dont have an uncut axle to measure.

But its about this much :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
So has anyone checked to see if there housing stayed true after a big cut. That's what makes me not want to cut big.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Consensus...

So is it pretty safe to say that, on average, cutting/plating & cutting the ring gear will get you around two inch's gained? While just smoothing the bottom up as high as possible (and keeping the 14 stock bolts) can net you close to an inch?

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
While just smoothing the bottom up as high as possible (and keeping the 14 stock bolts) can net you close to an inch?
1/2"-5/8" maybe.

dunno about the tweaked housings. mines certainly not been babied and held up, but my theory was always if it breaks. I can always get another 14b for $200 or so and start over... I'd think a nice bridge/truss over the top of the housing would give some good piece of mind.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
the plan on my build is to turn downt he ring gear to the od of the carrier ... ~9.5" OD on the ring gear ... and then shave the housing to fit ... should get me in the range of D44 clearance on the housing.

ill let you know how many miles the ring gear lasts before it goes boom!

·
Vertical Limits
5,037 Posts
the plan on my build is to turn downt he ring gear to the od of the carrier ... ~9.5" OD on the ring gear ... and then shave the housing to fit ... should get me in the range of D44 clearance on the housing.

ill let you know how many miles the ring gear lasts before it goes boom!
seems excessive:eek:
Somebody did that that put axles under an S10 blazer. A white blazer as I remember. I remember looking at the ring gear and thinking, "damn, only half of the tooth is left" :laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Wish I would have done a full shave job while it was out, but at the time we just ground the lip down and plated the bottom so there was a smooth run from the diff to the pinion guard.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts