Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another project, along with the longer rear springs and the raised gas tank. :rolleyes:

Anyway... here's the pics. It would be worth gaining no clearance just because it loses the drain plug and gives you a nice flat bottom. :D

I had to weld a nut to my drain plug to get it out, the ring was too close to the plug for a socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An anwer to the "how do you drain the oil now?" question: Double-nut the bottom two studs, pull them out, and weld a nut on 'em. Instant bolts/drain plugs. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cut... a hair over 1/8" ring gear clearance with the plate in place. Doing it again I'd cut a tad more and clearance the plate with a grinder to fit the ring gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scored the plate with a cutoff wheel in the angle grinder, tacked it in place, and bent it to shape with a BFH.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plate burned into place. Letting it cool off between passes took a lot longer than the cutting. fitting, and welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's it for now. Once I get it all cleaned off I'll post a couple more pics. Out to go use up a couple more flap discs in the grinder...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chrisjeep7 said:
well do you think it will hold oil?:flipoff2:
Considering the weld in that picture is my ugliest one... yeah. I welded it inside and out, just in case. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
nice job, how much clearance did you gain?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
woody99 said:
nice job, how much clearance did you gain?
0.00" .... 0.25" ... 0.8" ... where do you wanna measure in this pic?

This question is asked in every diff shaving thread I've ever seen posted in the toy forum. And the answer is pretty predictable:

Since the diff is tilted up in the rig, shaving it really just slices off the corner sticking down. You can't shave the piss outta a toy axle, because you can't alter the 3rd member mounting surface. The answer: some. But the main gains are a flat bottom and lack of a drain plug. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
I have a toy axle I'm shaving and if I lay a straight edge across the bottom, the ring gear rubs by about .010 inch. I'm going to use 3/8 plate and mill out the center 1/8 inch for gear clearance. On my particular setup, it should give me a little over 1" maybe 1 1/2" clearance.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Be sure to weld it in and out, take it from experience. The side welds are a pain with the baffles, but they can easily be removed/trimmed.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts