Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my set of spare axles dropped out of the donor truck. Gonna take to them with a angle grinder and shave them down. Im thinking straight across the bottom so i can just cut a piece of steel and weld it on.

Any suggestions? Never shaved a housing before, how much clearance can i expect to gain? If not much maybe i should just remove the drain plug and call it a day.

·
Registered
975 Posts
What are you trying for, a flat bottomed axle?? No really, there isn't that much to shave and I don't think a stock axle is worth doing that to. The only thing I would shave would be the drain plug.

Just get some bigger tires. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a extra set of stock axles, and the ones on my truck need rebuilt. This is my Daily driver on 31's so i was thinking beef them up, rebuild them and swap them in.

·
turd-polish-a-go-go
1,073 Posts
no room to shave, really. you could *maybe* get a 1/8th inch... but you would also be limiting oil capacity. i gained almost two inches of punkin' clearance... by getting bigger tires.

·
Registered
409 Posts
drop them off w/ jim and have him bring them down here, my bro will shave them for ya...ya cant really gain a whole lotta clearance, but it'd give ya a smoother surface to slide over rocks and whatnot:D

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I'm not sure what you guys are thinking, or if you've ever shaved a sammy diff yourselves, but I've shaved 3 of them and gain anywhere between 3/8" and 5/8" inch, and in a sammy with 31" tires that's quite a bit!

I don't have any pics of the sammy axle, but here are a couple pics of a toy axle I shaved, which is almost identical. This particular axle I did not have a 3rd member handy to test fit and I could have actually gone a little more with the angle to gain more clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Why bother? The axle is the same thickness as a coffee can...LOL Go Toy's...that's right you sold them.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Because i need a new project and the samurai still needs more work.

Using my stock axles to shave = cost of steel

Using toys = cost of toys + mounts + brake lines + steering + ebrake

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I dont think that is the thing to practice your welds on...but you gotta learn sometime.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Mine Can't seem to post the pic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts