Pirate 4x4 banner

She can keep the house: the almost a "2nd gen crawler" build

28K views 130 replies 39 participants last post by  gottoys2000 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start with a recent pic:

Some may remember my other rig: the "Anorexic Toy" http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/857766-my-anorexic-toy.html

I will post pics and details of what I did up to now over the next several days/weeks. But for now here are some of the specs:
86? Single cab
Self built chassis
1uzfe
Aw4 trans
231/205 cases
HP 60 front
Shaved 14 bolt
16" ADS 2.5" coilovers
Rear trailing arms
19" belly height sitting on 42's

See less See more
#2 ·
What a tease :flipoff2:

always enjoyed your other build thread, in to watch this one as well :smokin:

#4 ·
A little background on the new build:
I liked the Anorexic Toy; she went where she was told but she was heavy and a pain to fix ( the motor being shoved back into the firewall didn't help).
I had been wanting to make a new rig for over a year now. I wanted something lighter, that would handle better at high speed, would be more comfortable to drive, and be easier to work on.
Well, I ended up toasting a rod being on new years and that was the final nail in the coffin for the Anorexic Toy.

I traded some side work for a donor rig:

The plan was to skin the cab, design a chassis that would fin in the skinned cab, a slide the cab on from the top.

After much debate, I began on the subframe of the chĂ ssis:

Then the drivetrain found its way into the chassis. The goal was to leave the engine far enough forward of the "firewall" so that you could ácess the Bell housing bolts from the engine bay:

The 1uzfe is a wide mofo. To clear the motor the front frame section had to come up above the headers:

#7 ·
Maybe once it is on all fours, I will roll it outside so I can climb on the roof again:D

Links are 2" .250 wall. The plan is to eventually change out the upper links to 1 3/4" .120 wall to save some weight. Joints are Ruff Stuff 1.25" heims.

It's gonna be a slower paced build. The older I get, the more life gets in the way. Hoping to have it done by April. I'm figuring that I'm about halfway done as of now.

#9 ·
Then I began working on the front:
The original plan was to mount the radiator up front. I decided to move the rad to the back to keep the front from becoming to long and cluttered.
The trans, oil, power steering coolers and fan fit nicely. There's even room for an intercooler if I choose to go that route in the future.

#16 ·
Original plan was to put the radiator up front. But after seeing that it wouldn't fit without making the front longer and wider, I moved it to the back.

Coolant will run down part of the chassis. I would have made the tube work more friendly to the coolant plumbing but a rear mounted radiator wasn't the original plan

Adding in some protection for the sides

Front shock hoops. With no radiator, an intercooler fits nicely (someday)

Scored some already skinned bedsides from my buddy Marcus. Bobbed it something like 13".

I've been told that I have to keep it the Red, White, and Blue color scheme. It's kind of gowing on me.

#17 ·
I had one of the engineers at work draw up the trailing arms. My buddy Brady cut them out on their plasma table at work.

Caught this little guy when I was welding up the arms. Kinda makes you jump when you lift up your hood and see a tarantula creeping by a foot away from your foot.

More interor panels and seats

Engine cradle

Dash and center console

#23 ·
Thanks guys for all the compliments:smokin:

Thanks. Ivan is a good dude. I'm hoping to have it done before Moonlight Madness maybe you can check it out then.

looks awesome. are you Dye Penetrant testing the welds or something? I was trying to figure out what all the white powdery stuff is.
It's a dry film anti spatter. Works much better than the Harris stuff ( just be sure it's dry before you start welding otherwise, it will take your breath away). Keeps my welds looking halfway decent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.