Pirate 4x4 banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
I think i would cry and my wife would kill me if i started racing.....it seems like a never ending money pit, not that a trail rig isnt, just racing seems to intensify the process haha
yup, now i just need to figure out how to unload the wife and the house and keep the tools so i can live in a garage...seems like a nice option :smokin:

good info on the injectors, makes sense.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
pre-emptive bump for post race updates :flipoff2: just saw you on the tube making pretty quick work of choclate thunder

·
1,875 Posts
I thought this thing looked familiar, but it also looks similar to my buddy Scott in 4827. Tough luck on the infield yardsale in qualifying... got you plenty of replays on the Gram tho! haha. Looks like it did a number on your passenger shock tower too...

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
:laughing: nice

·
Registered
953 Posts
Damn dude, that's intense. Awesome work and your perseverance is killer.

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
We finished but past our cut off time. I'll put together a race recap for you guys in the next few days. Thanks for all of the support!

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I thought this thing looked familiar, but it also looks similar to my buddy Scott in 4827. Tough luck on the infield yardsale in qualifying... got you plenty of replays on the Gram tho! haha. Looks like it did a number on your passenger shock tower too...
Got to meet Scott on Sunbonnet. We ran out of talent after the jump on qualifying. The shock bolt pulled through the tabs. Didnt notice it until we were partially up the hill climb.

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
After KOH 2018 I decided to redo a large portion of the car. It started off with needing a bigger fuel cell. The problem was that I didn't have room in the chassis to fit a bigger cell. So scope creep set in. I figured I'd need to redo the back half to accommodate the new cell, so why not redo the top section of the cage to provide a little more head room... It all went downhill from there.

This is how it ended up. I ended up ditching the cab as it was too difficult to maintain. I redid much of the non-impacted tube with .095" wall to try to reduce weight. I also ditched the lower trailing arms, and went with upper trailing arms:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
bah, now it is just another F-toy :flipoff2:

have you noticed any difference moving the shocks from the lowers to the uppers or was it just a packaging space move?

what size fuel cell did you go up to?

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
bah, now it is just another F-toy :flipoff2:

have you noticed any difference moving the shocks from the lowers to the uppers or was it just a packaging space move?

what size fuel cell did you go up to?

At least its not a Jeep:D

The move to an upper trailing arm was more of a packing decision for me. I kept wasting bushings with the old trailing arm setup, and running heims on both ends required me to bend the link down; reducing ground clearance. The upper arms allowed me to bend the link but not sacrifice ground clearance. I do feel that the car is a bit more tipsy this way but is corrected with the sway bar. I ended up breaking the rear swaybar arm and the car was completely worthless as it wanted to tip over on itself. That said, with the front and rear bars, the car feels very stable. The only thing I'm looking at now is to revalve the shocks again. I have a bleed screw pulled in each shock piston that allows for low speed free bleed. This allows the car to be super soft on small stuff, but allows for the car to be a little loose. This looseness occurs to the point the sway bar loads up and corrects the free bleed. Then swaybar whip comes into play... Oh the fun of shock tuning. I can say that how it is right now, is the best its every felt, I'm just trying to push it to the next level so to say.

I went with a 32 gal mainly for KOH, and desert races. It's nice being able to skip pits. The 1uz is a thirsty bitch. As a bonus, I really never have to worry about running out of fuel when trail riding:D

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
with it feeling like it is more tippy overy until the sway bar kicks in, does it still feel stableish on side hills when the sway bar is doing less?

maybe just the pictures, but it looks like your uppers are still wide on the axle side so it is interesting (to me anyways :rasta: ) that raising the stock mount would cause such a significant change in roll

101 - 120 of 131 Posts