Pirate 4x4 banner

She lives (Part 2)

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  RockRover 
#1 ·
Okay...I'm a bum...I let my star expire...

Who want's to host and post some pics for me? (I'll jump in between the SB comercials)....

--D

#4 ·
Thanks a bunch TTURokToy!

As you can see there is a lot of finish work to do, but you get the general idea. Looks like King got the spring-rates right the first cut...At least in the posure shot's it looks okay.

I'm having second thoughts about the sway bar too...I'll have to get her in the rocks first to tell for sure, but so far she's pretty well balanced.

Grego'...Give me a call and I'll tell ya' about the fuel pump stuff...

Anyway, good feeling guy's!

And a special thanks to Tom Woods' for helping me out on the drive shafts...I'll post up some special shots of his new "Rock-and-Roll" shafts...Flippin' bitchen work.

--D

#6 ·
Thanks Ron....Pic's coming your way right now....I'll have more time to check the posts now that Oakland looks like their getting a good'ol' fashioned ass-whoopin.

Still diggin' the comercials though!

--D

#8 ·
Holy SHEEEIIITTTT!!!!

SAAAAWWWWWHHHHHEEEEEAAAAATTTTT!!!!

Man, what a friggin rig now! Way to go. You absolutely have to come down to LC for the CC. Just get that baby delivered, and then all the grand parents and inlaws can help while you are gone.

Keep the picts coming.

Btw - should have some super secret mod pictures very soon of the D110.

Later,

Billster

#13 ·
Absolutely farkin AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Unreal Doug. Great to see your D90 up and running. What a rebuild!!!! It will be good to see you on your old trails to get a feel for the difference some king coilovers, a d60, a d70 and a few old 42in tsls will make. Id imagine it would be almost scary to drive given how different it is from its previous incarnation. But man, ANYTHING with your specs would have to be a blast to drive. Tyres poking out every side, massive ground clearance, massive strength and a full roll cage to boot. How much fun is that machine going to be - you will be able to point it at absolutely anything, plant the right boot and hang on. Absolutely farkin AWESOME.

Congrats on your work. Looks great.

Sam

#15 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guy's. There is always a bit of trepidation when you post up your work around here. Of course it's still early!... :)

I plan on adding a spreader or two on the top of the cage, and add to that about 16hrs of clean up and paint.

Ordered a rear sway-bar from Stockcar Products....Ohhhh....About *4!* weeks ago...Even went down on bar diameter such that I could get the thing in "one week"....Riiiiiight.

Your right Sam...It is a VERY different driving it now....Especially from humble beginnings she started at. Something about a 8" lift, a lot less sheet-metal and no windshield that changes your perspective. Of course after a trip or two up and down the street in front of the shop I had her in 4hi and brought her up to (estimated) 45 - 50 mph. I did notice that the compound angle on the drive-shaft would cause a slight vibration at that speed...Of course I don't have a center console anymore, and the cover plate is off....That translates into staring straight down at the UJ...Kinda skaaarry seeing a 20lb drive-shaft, at a compound angel, spinning REAL fast only about 12" from your leg!
The other thing I'm going to have to get used to is having Detroits front and back...I used to have ARB's...The extra wheel-base and soft stuff kills' my turning radius...Disconnecting the front axle really seems to help, but I have to remember to do it! I figure about....Ohhhh....One 1/4 mile in the rocks, and I'll have it back.

I'm going to do my best to get to the CC! Count on it! But alass it's really out of my hands. Family comes first around here. My wife does understand however, that I'm like a bull in a china shop when I have a rig built AND a place to go! I really all depends on the recovery time she needs.

Billy! Time to post up the supper secret mods dude!!!

Rich! Time to post up some pics of yours!!! I just checked my pic files...I truly started this thing 3-17-02...*IF* you don't count the year before when I was doing the parts procurement and house remodel...So that means you have less than 6 months to be rolling! :flipoff2:

#17 ·
I'm going to start the clock now that you finished and get it finished by next January. I'm planning on doing similar mods (axles, role cage, suspension) + custom body panels, bed, and top. The 37" tires I'm planning sure look puny after looking at your rig. Oh well, I use to being the underdog!

Sheila and I finished laying the outside layers of the top (1 foam layer, 4 glass layers, and 1 kevlar layer). So far, the top weighs 27 lbs without the lexan windows, the inner layer of glass, or the side windows cut out. This is cool stuff. I have tried the screw driver test on a sample layup - can't penetrate the sample by hand! Takes a punch and some heavy blows from a hammer to penetrate the sample! Kevlar is tough stuff! I'm going to let it cure for awhile before work continues on the top. I started working on the plugs for the tub this weekend. Will start with the side panels and then the floor. These will be easy compared to the top.

The rear flat bed and the cage has been redesigned (easier to build and removable for extreme stuff). However, since Blister won't show his, I won't show mine!

If someone knows where I can get a fj80 front axle, this will sure help. Once I get the front, I'll order the 9" rear.

Still working the the rear suspension design. This is going to take a while.

Great work Doug!

Rich

#20 ·
Doug,

What did the final measurements end up being. Overall width, WB, height of chassis etc. Dont suppose you got a pic of it parked on level ground, just trying to get a feel for how big this thing is.

How does the full hydro steering feel on the road?? You went with a double ended ram and a return to centre orbital, didnt you??

Sam

#23 ·
Rich....No f'in way dude...The clock started 3 months ago...You've got until November 03' buddy...I seem to remember a while back a quote that went something like this: "Yea right Doug...I can get it done in a year no problem" You've got 9 months left my friend: :flipoff2: :)

Sam...Just measured the WB at 111" ....Track width at 85" front and 82" rear...Frame height (from the ground to the bottom of the frame rails is approx. 19"...Top of cage? Flippin WAY up there! :) 14" under the diff's.

Now to the weight...Jumped on a scale today...and.........Drum roll please....4210....:( That's kinda where I thought she'd land after hearing your news Sam. I didn't feel too bad because I had a friend with me in a totally chopped and bobbed buggy CJ...No floor-boards, tubed rear....Totally minimalist...He popped 3800lbs! He's using pipe for a cage though.

Tis...I'm gonna' try and make it for sure!!

Mike...Lemme' know man. I had a painter looking over the rig this afternoon...I wasn't going to paint it, but if he want's do do the cage in epoxy and a nice clean coat of single stage on the body...And the frame...For free...Then who am I to argue? :) If that's the case then I'll be ready for the camera's for sure!

Thanks all!

--D

#25 ·
All that effort and expense, and no chrome diff cover????

Just kidding, but in all seriousness, it is definitely a well thought out nicely constructed machine. I would suggest (for safety’s sake) a stylish pair of goggles for those freeway test runs.

-Jeff

#26 ·
Serious One said:
Doug,

The only thing that HAS to happen about the winch, is you have to agree to run wire rope.

I don't care WHICH wire rope you run, but it has to be wire, no UMPHFWE, (whatever...).

Color choice for body??? (kind-a curious)
Heck Mike, I wouldn't care if they want me to run used tampon string if it means a comp. winch! :)

Color? I'd go with the standard red...Subtle, yet stand out'ish...Not to mention the PIA it would be to do anything else...I really don't feel like pulling the dash and everything on the bulk-head just for the sake of a color that's gonna' get trashed anyway!

Goin' to the CC?

--D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.