Pirate 4x4 banner

She lives (Part 2)

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  RockRover 
#1 ·
Okay...I'm a bum...I let my star expire...

Who want's to host and post some pics for me? (I'll jump in between the SB comercials)....

--D

#27 ·
JSBriggs said:
All that effort and expense, and no chrome diff cover????

Just kidding, but in all seriousness, it is definitely a well thought out nicely constructed machine. I would suggest (for safety?s sake) a stylish pair of goggles for those freeway test runs.

-Jeff
Chrome? Nah... But I was eye'in those neon license plate frames....The kind that go round and round....Not sure if I can figure out the electrical part though...:flipoff2:

--D

#28 ·
Strange Rover said:
How does the full hydro steering feel on the road?? You went with a double ended ram and a return to centre orbital, didnt you??

Sam
Yup...

Feel on the road is good....I don't have seat-belt's yet, and the shocks aren't charged yet either! :eek: So I haven't had her up to a good clip yet (50mph +) But I have had her close, and I have to say that there isn't any true "road feel". My castor is set way forward (nutural to positive) so that doesn't help any....However fully locked in the front with 42's and I can spin the steering wheel with one finger...Nooooo problem. The other thing is that the "death ride" stories you hear are false with a well put together system (thanks Station!). It's the kind of thing I know I'll get used to very soon. It sorta' reminds me of driving my Grandfathers Caddy....Suuuuuper easy one finger steering...Except I feel like I'm eight feet in the air! (wait a minute!)....

Steering is constant through the RPM range too....No 'twitchyness'. I totaly recomend it if your more trail than street.

The one thing I would do differently would be going with an orbital valve that is 2 or 2.5 turns lock to lock. When I was putting the parts together I decided on a '4-turn lock to lock' orbital. I find that I have to palm the wheel more than I would like, but that's truly a nit-pick.

--D

#29 ·
Tampon string? EWWWWWW~!!!!!! I don't think that's approved by legal....I'll check.

When I was at Cedar I was hanging out with one of the guys that was running a full hydro system. It was pretty cool with the steering wheel going to a SHORT shaft into the hydro block/motor/pump thingie. He had two lines to the pump and then to the ram. Is that how yours is setup?

I wondered about the road feel thing. Do you even feel any bumps or anything? Is there any feedback at all into the wheel? Like, will you know you're at full lock, or pushed up against a rock or whatever? Hows that work? :confused:

The 'twitchiness' you talk about, I can relate. I feel a bit of it on my hydroboost brake setup. I get more braking the higher the rpm's are and less the lower it is. It's never low enough to cause a problem, but I know that as the rpm's drop the pump is working less. I feel it a hair in the Saginaw system too. I havent bled either the brake hydro lines or the steering hydro lines since we fired it up back in Oct., so maybe it's time???

Anyway, congrats again.

CC? Hmmm..probably not. I was thinking Hammers for a quick winch/lights shoot.

The app. guide has been pushed back to March, so maybe we'll be able to do something by then.

#30 ·
Serious One said:
Tampon string? EWWWWWW~!!!!!! I don't think that's approved by legal....I'll check.

When I was at Cedar I was hanging out with one of the guys that was running a full hydro system. It was pretty cool with the steering wheel going to a SHORT shaft into the hydro block/motor/pump thingie. He had two lines to the pump and then to the ram. Is that how yours is setup?

I wondered about the road feel thing. Do you even feel any bumps or anything? Is there any feedback at all into the wheel? Like, will you know you're at full lock, or pushed up against a rock or whatever? Hows that work? :confused:

The 'twitchiness' you talk about, I can relate. I feel a bit of it on my hydroboost brake setup. I get more braking the higher the rpm's are and less the lower it is. It's never low enough to cause a problem, but I know that as the rpm's drop the pump is working less. I feel it a hair in the Saginaw system too. I havent bled either the brake hydro lines or the steering hydro lines since we fired it up back in Oct., so maybe it's time???

Anyway, congrats again.

CC? Hmmm..probably not. I was thinking Hammers for a quick winch/lights shoot.

The app. guide has been pushed back to March, so maybe we'll be able to do something by then.
Yea, it sounds like the same system...Steering shaft from the wheel to the orbital, then 4 lines from the orbital (left, right, pump and return).

The orbital I got from Station is a load-sensing...Meaning I will get some "notice" if I'm wedged tight...Hopefully enough notice that I don't rip my knuckles off prior. I havnen't had her in the rocks yet to tell. I'll lecha' know when I do, but right now I can shove the truck right or left with one finger on the wheel. I know when I'm at full lock by looking at the wheel, and more importantly, it won't turn anymore and will blead-off at full extension of the ram...No worries.

I don't think you have a airation issue...Sounds to me to be a psi/volume issue. Slap a 3.5 gpm and 1.5ksi pump in her and your worries will be over!
PM me when the time is near...

--D

#31 ·
Sorry to hi-jack your thread Dougie....but since we're talking...

My steering feels fine, not quite one-fingered, maybe two. Its just that the brakes feel, well, its kind of hard to describe. Nothing dangerous, and WAY strong and there when I need them. Just low on idle it feels like I have to push the pedal way farther than I would need to at higher RPM's. Both systems are running off of the same pump. I really DON'T want to re-invent the system we've got going now.

What if I just went to a smaller pulley? Would that help the gpm issue?

Wonder if there's a similar pump that fits the same position but with a slightly higher flow?

Hmmm.....(too bad I'm not a mechanic eh?)

#32 ·
WAY COOL!! That thing looks awesome Dug! I have been so busy over the last couple of weeks that I have had very little time for internet cruising. I am glad to see that you are finally rolling.

I am also glad to hear that you are happy with your steering. Thank you for the feedback:) . If you want to get that 2.5 or so turns lock-lock let me know...It can be done pretty easily.

One thing I wanted to remoind you about, and this will also answer some of the peoples questions.....Is you keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel. When rockcrawling ,if you are not gripping the steering wheel firmly, The steering wheel can spin in reaction to the wheel being driven against something. The effect is a good bit less than normal power steering, but is still there.

Also to answer others questions, yes the load reactive steering valve allows you to feel whats going on with the wheels. If steering against something, there will be more than normal resistance against the steering wheel, though you would still be abe to continue to steer with 2 fingers if you wanted to.

Have fun with it Doug! I have started building my chassis this week. I have to have all tubing bent within 2 weeks, as I am borrowing the bender and have to return it. All mower frame rails are bent, now I have to bend the main hoop and work forward/backward from it.

Sean

#33 ·
Thanks a bunch Sean....It's been a long time coming, but it's worth it so far!

I'll PM you on details on the orbital...

O'yea....And Sean?

POST SOME FAWKING PICS!!! :flipoff2:

Out of just about everyone on this board, you are the man when it comes to homework....I kneal before you....

Have a good one...I'm going back to bed...Caught the flippin' flu....Arrrrggg...

--D

#35 ·
Okay boy's and girls! I'm a daddy again!

Amber Grace was born 01/29 at 5:42pm....7lbs 14oz at 20.5"

Mommy (and daddy) are doing fine...Poor Diane (and daddy) had the stomach flu the day before the delivery...:(....But we both recovered JUST in time for the delivery...4 pushes and Amber was with us. :bounce:

Sure KC you can saddle my rig! Just don't do what I did to yours though! :)

--D

#39 ·
whoohooo anothert little one, O and yea I would love to strap into a real truck. But I dont think the front fenders would hold up as well as the mogs did. I am going to get a big magic marker and write Doug on that Fender, or maybe some of your trade mark bulelt holes. hehehehe.

Congrats man, on both the Little one and the truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.