Pirate 4x4 banner

what to do

• arp studs

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • machine stock knuckles for D44 studs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • option 2+ use arp studs

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • six shooter knuckles with arp (least affordable)

Votes: 13 52.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out the other night and sheared off 5/8 steering arms studs, need to fix, been searching options but want opinions, obviously cheaper is always better in my case but I can't do any machining without paying someone
22r 5.29s turning 38.5x16x15 mt claws going to be full hydro when I fix this
What say the pbb

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
arp studs ... what brand steering arms?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
So your running 5/8" studs right now.. or you broke 5 of the 8 studs...

it's a valid question, since some people have upgraded from the 12mm (~1/2") studs to 5/8..

Also, a big factor in all of this is how often you check the torque on the stud nuts. I mark the stud/bolt with whiteout, so that I can tell if they have loosened up on me.. and I routinely check the torque.

Lastly, you didn't even mention the 5th stud option.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
ARP Studs....and a fifth stud.

Were they torqued to spec prior to riding?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5 out of 8 studs
I forgot to add the fifth did option
I honestly don't know if they were torqued properly at time of ride, could have loosened its a trailer queen
Don't remember arm name or manufacturer...not stock though high steer

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
You need ARP studs and you need to torque them properly/check them often

Out of curiosity, what is your wheel spacer/wheel bearing hub/wheel offset setup?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mrt beadlocks. I think 2" back spacing but it's been forever since I bought them, looked at them, measured them,...no spacers or anything else

Couldn't go wrong..bought the 4 tires almost brand new with grooving + 4mrt wheels for $850 I think.....local dude changing everything on his buggy wanted them gone

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
For the record. Stock studs don't loosen up. They stretch beyond the yield point and then break. They are 8.8 (grade 5) studs, so they will stretch. So, every time you retorque them, you are stretching them more, and more, and more, until they break. Obviously, the side to side torque on the arm does this as well. But, I can assure you that they aren't usually loosening up.

ARPs won't stretch, and with red locktite, they don't loosen up.

If they loosened up, then the break point would be below the threads, not right at the top of them on the shoulder.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
dragrcr65:26877938 said:
Make a 5th bolt for $10
and check your torque on them

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
The only reason I have 6-stud knuckles is I bought 6-hole billet arms from Marlin when he first came up with the idea. I broke one of arm at the Hammers and when I bought the hy-steer from Marlin in 98 he told me it was guaranteed for life and he was good with his word.:grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
This is my 5th stud.
9/16 grade 8 bolt, with a lug nut. Into a builderseries.com model A batwing boss.

Before it's all done I will change the studs to arp

1 - 20 of 32 Posts