Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blew up my 84 318 yesterday. Want to build a LA 360 with magnum heads . Being in Ca I still have to keep all the smog equipment working. Without a exhaust cross over is there a trick to a EGR system?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,364 Posts
I don't think it's possible. If it were just a visual inspection, you can have the heads redrilled to accept LA intakes, but if it has to pass the test I think the only way you are going to use Magnum heads is to do a full Magnum swap with EFI, unless there is something out there I am unaware of.

·
Registered
17,364 Posts
You might get away with a passenger side manifold but the driver side from a BR series in a W series doesn't work.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Agree, I don't think you'll make it happen without the stock exhaust crossover into the intake. Your EGR will have to function, and more importantly LOOK stock to pass. I think you'd have to do the full EFI magnum swap to be smog legal.
Travis..

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I may try to fake it. I'll drill a hole into the exhaust crossover and when the smog tech attaches his vacuum pump to the EGR valve it will suck in air from the lifter valley. The RPM will drop just like it had a exhaust supply. Might have higher than normal Nox, but I'll cross that bridge if it comes up.

BTW no roller smog test in my county.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started buying parts for my 408 build. Crossing my fingers the smog cops don't make it a nightmare.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Let us know how it goes, I'd like to see if you can make it through. Smog is such a pain in the ass. If they would have left it 30 year rolling, you wouldn't have to smog it any more :shaking: Money grabbing scum-bags :mad3:
Travis..

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
regarding smog, last year when i did mine,t hey said the state was switching away from sniff test and going purely on visual and computer diagnosis.

good luck on your build and related smog stuff

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Change of plans, went with LA style heads. Crankshaft,Rods,Cam are all on backorder. :shaking:

Attachments

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally ready to drop off the block at the machine shop. I have all my parts for the build and think it's time to call this engine "Backorder out of stock ,extended wait time."

Attachments

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
VEDDY nice - I think a new LA engine will also pass smog easier than a swapped in, used Magnum. And with less harness headaches.

I just did an EGR delete on MY Magnum, which - as long as I keep it under 5k miles a year - will remain emission exempt. :smokin:

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two machine shops later I finally have my block work done!:shaking: POS Scat crank took 2.1oz of mallory to ballance!

Marino's and Watsonville Ca had the engine for nine weeks and only got around to hot tanking it. :mad3: APM Custom Engines in Morgan Hill knocked it out in four days :grinpimp:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
regarding smog, last year when i did mine,t hey said the state was switching away from sniff test and going purely on visual and computer diagnosis.

good luck on your build and related smog stuff
Just as an aside, I smogged my 01 Mustang at a test only station in July and they only did a visual and an OBD scan. Passed no problem. Doubt they're gonna do away with the sniffer on non-OBD stuff though.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Two machine shops later I finally have my block work done!:shaking: POS Scat crank took 2.1oz of mallory to ballance!

Marino's and Watsonville Ca had the engine for nine weeks and only got around to hot tanking it. :mad3: APM Custom Engines in Morgan Hill knocked it out in four days :grinpimp:

Did the machine shop balance it with the 360 Damper and torque converter? The Scat cranks are usually set up to be internally balanced so you should use the 318 damper and no balance weight on the torque converter, flexplate, or flywheel

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did the machine shop balance it with the 360 Damper and torque converter? The Scat cranks are usually set up to be internally balanced so you should use the 318 damper and no balance weight on the torque converter, flexplate, or flywheel
The crank,balancer and flex plate are all for internal balance

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts