Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On March 20, I called Randys Ring and Pinion to ask them about some issues with my locker.

I then just happened to mention that my front square driveshaft I just finished up had WWWAAAAAYYYY to much play in it and clonks and clangs like a mo-fo.

This guy tells me that he and some others that have them had the same problem, he then tells me he remedied the problem with VELCRO!!:eek:

Then my son smacked my daughter with an umbrella and the screaming commenced and I had to hang up. There is now no need to say, I didnt have a chance to ask him how or why he would use VELCRO.

Has anyone else heard of this?? It just doesnt sound right to me unless you were to JB Weld the shit in there. I dont know if he used just one side of it or somehow got one side down in the tube and the other on the inner slip shaft or what??

:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
run a fat bead on the four sides of the the slip(smaller) half of the d-line.....grind to fit snug. easy as pie.:D

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I did that but like a dumbass, I ground it down too much and now I have too much play in it.

I thought I was sticking up toward the top so I just kept on grinding till it fit. Come to find out that it was actually sticking down in the tube somewhere and I now the top is ground too far down.

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
big beads...big beads..big beads....grind... be happy. sloppy....so what:flipoff2: just wheel

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Maybe he was saying that you can take the soft side of the velcro and stick it on the inside of the female tube. It would probably help but I doubt that it would last all that long. Just do the weld bead thing mentioned above.

:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
you can buy velcro strips in rolls, of different widths, like 1/2 or 1" wide. It is sticky on the back side, 3m tape stuff. I guess what they are doing is getting that and running strips of it down the 2" tubing to take up the slack.

·
Premium Member
25,812 Posts
I heated up the larger (outer) one with the cutting torch and took a hammer to it down the center of each side. Just kept testing it till it was snug. No more clanking.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You can also weld strips of sheet medal on the inner shaft to take up space. Sheet medal scraps are usually free at mechanical sheet medal shops. And they usually have many different thicknesses. That's were I always get mine.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
I just weled some 24GA sheetmetal on to each side and then ground down the welds flush. I also installed 4 grease zerks (one on each side) so I can grease it to keep crap out and to stop the clank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts