Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is there any reason I can not use chrome swivel balls on my 98 disco, which originally came with the black teflon coated swivel balls? Would I have to get any other parts that are different in order to use these, such as the swivel bearings, bushings, etc?

I have replaced these before but it has been so long I'm having a hard time remembering what exactly is in there, and the parts and WSMs are not much help, showing multiple choice parts.

In any case, before you banish me to newbie land, the reason I need this info is this: I'm doing Keith's toy axle conversion, and I need to know if I can use his cores for the swivel balls, or if I have to burn another week and more $$$ shipping and send my balls to him. :flipoff2:

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Just guessing, I wouldn't think it would matter. Balls are Balls! :bounce2:

Seriously though... If I'm not mistaken basically a '98 disco front axles is the same as my '90 RRC front axle. I would bet their is little or no difference. If anything the teflon coated balls would be better, but not necessary in my opinion.

BTW, Kudos on the Toy Conversion.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
there are actually a lot of small differences between the '90 RRC axle and the '98 disco axle- ABS sensors, different spindles, hubs, calipers, etc but none of this should have a huge effect on what youre trying to do.

Are you going with the new super longfields that are all 30 spline?

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
90-95 RRC with ABS have the same part number swivel balls as the 94-99 Disco I…Part # FTC5105

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My NAS discovery parts catalog shows two numbers for this part

FRC2644 (fitted up to 78L.... vin)
FTC5105 (fitted from ... vin)

neither vin pattern matches my vin with starts with SALJ

I was under the impression that the ONLY difference between these was chrome vs teflon coating. is that correct?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in but, my 87 Classic which just got a new front end from a Disco has one black and one shiny ball... :) Seriously though... WTF?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
64rovr said:
Are you going with the new super longfields that are all 30 spline?
Yes--along with ARBs and 4.88s

hope it stays in one piece

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
darkstar said:

I hope you don't like going over 70 MPH? This is what I am running and my top speed has dimenished significantly... Of course I tow now so it's not that big of a deal. If I were doing it again I would have gone with 4.56 gears.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine's a trailer queen also. 55 will be fine for whatever short highway jaunts it will see.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's why I went with 4.88s instead of 5.29s

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
darkstar said:
That's why I went with 4.88s instead of 5.29s
I ran 5.13s in a drag car... It was quick, but not very fast :D

(it would however, pull the wheels in all four gears until the ring gear grenaded)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
As a general rule, the higher the gear, the stronger the ring and pinion. But you're right, compared to the Rover diff, any Toyota is going to be better. Hell, any Subaru is going to be better!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
darkstar said:

Good Man !

I may elect to wheel with you once again if I can actually get some wheel spin when following your lines.....

:laughing: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
darkstar said:
... or if I have to burn another week and more $$$ shipping and send my balls to him. :flipoff2:
My ex-wife tried to pull the same thing on me. I told her there she got enough damn money & there was no way she was getting my balls. Kept Rover, ditched ex-. Great deal (oh yeah & kept the balls too :flipoff2: )

·
Registered
449 Posts
Flesh colored?

What about flesh colored balls?

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist! :D

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
darkstar said:

Are you using the toy center or rover center?

Reason I ask is you can get a complete toy center for just a little bit more then an ARB.

Pete

1 - 20 of 25 Posts