Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, LWG, Darkstar and Disco Dino are all running V6 Toyota open-style diffs with ARBs. Anybody else running E-lockers?

Speaking of Toyota diffs, is anyone running the new/bigger/stronger Taco diff yet? Toyota uses them in almost everything from the Tacoma to the Sequoia to the Land Cruiser now so it's pretty common. Same 8" ring gear (though it's different than the V6 diff) but a little bit larger bolt pattern and 10mm studs instead of 8mm. It's got a huge one-piece bearing cap. Same 30-spline axles too. ARB makes a locker for this as well.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm going to run toy chunks, axles, and (in front) longfields inside the rover housing.

Speaking of the rover housing, I coulndn't believe how light it was. I was able to grab it and throw it up on my work bench by myself with minimal effort.

·
I build stuff
24,247 Posts
darkstar said:
I'm going to run toy chunks, axles, and (in front) longfields inside the rover housing.

Speaking of the rover housing, I coulndn't believe how light it was. I was able to grab it and throw it up on my work bench by myself with minimal effort.
Yeah not much to them.
Are you going to sleeve the inside of the tube?

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I hadn't planned on it. I really want to get the truck back on the trail before the summer goes away. I'm very prone to catching shipfitters disease, so I'm trying to keep this project on track and on schedule, which is to be done next weekend.

Interesting thought though. Anyone done it? What size tube will fit in there, anyway?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
darkstar said:
Interesting thought though. Anyone done it? What size tube will fit in there, anyway?
Mal Story from Maxi-Drive used to do this mod but doesn't now. He said that it adds a lot of weight but not much extra strength.

For rovers with big heavy diesels (which are known for bending the front axle) - he now just uses external strengthening.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts