Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into shipping my Samurai to myself in a few weeks to save some wear and tear on my 4 cylinder Yota. I'm shipping it from CT (06470) to Hilton Head, SC (29928).

Anybody have an idea of what a fair shipping price is for that? I just got quoted $765 which I think is absurd. I've put in requests from a few shippers so 'll have those in a couple days.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Hef

·
Registered
804 Posts
Based on the states the truck will pass through that sounds about right for a reputable transporter. Price isn't really based on distance but more on the time it takes and the number of stops ( state weigh stations) to get get from point A to point B.

I work for an auto auction and can check with our transportation department for a comparison on Monday.

For reference I shipped a 4Runner from Irvine, CA to Indianpolis, IN for $600 2 years ago. Public cost would have been just over $750.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
What you are paying for mostly is, how much money it takes that truck to go from CT to SC, in relation to how much room you are taking up on the trailer.

Costs on that truck include fuel, paying the driver, wear on the tires, oil in the engine, permits needed to drive in those states, etc...

I have no idea how long your Sami is, or I could tell you exactly how much it would take that truck to haul your rig to SC. If your Sami is 12 feet long, going by your estimate of $765, and the typical length of a flatbed being 53 feet, it would take that truck $3378.75 to drive that distance, or 63.75 per foot of trailer deck. Of course, that is all going by a 12 foot length of your rig.

·
Premium Member
10,659 Posts
WTF? Call around and I'm sure you can find someone who is turning around empty that would do it for a couple hundred bucks. It's done all the time.

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
When I was checking on shipping a jeep all the way across the U.S prices ranged from $900 all the way up to $1900 (enclosed)
I called atleast 7 places before I found a reasonable one..

I would say $500-$700 is fair for your distance...

Shop around and call around for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts