Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a company that makes shock brackets for a Dana44. I picked up a D44 for my Cherokee, but the guy cut the brackets off. I know the stock brackets hang too low, so I figured somebody makes aftermarket brackets. I am so fab'd out right now, it would be nice just to be able to buy a set and weld them on. I'm currently doing a swap to a 4.7l stroker, new tranny and new rear axle and I just don't have the time to make them myself. Thanks for any help.

I searched this site quit a bit with no luck. If someone has a magic incantation to use as key words, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have used both MORE and RE. For the same price, RE is beefier if this makes any different.

Later,

·
Registered
171 Posts
Why not use the brackets from your current axle (assuming you still have it) and just cut them down a bit for better clearance?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
WHy not go to JU and ask this question...

I mean hell.. Just buy the shocks, normally the ranchos come with the pins with the thread on one end. Take the pins cut the threads off weld thoughts to your axle and call it done..

Or go to your local autoparts, go to the help section and get the pins and use those.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
WHy not go to JU and ask this question...

I mean hell.. Just buy the shocks, normally the ranchos come with the pins with the thread on one end. Take the pins cut the pins off weld thoughts to your axle and call it done..

Or go to your local autoparts, go to the help section and get the pins and use those.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks underDAWG for the heads up on RE. I didn't know they made them. Ordered a set. And for WheelingPiazza welding a stud to an axle tube is a good way to rip a hole in your tube. Like I said in my post, the whole brackets are gone. In my 30 years of wheeling I have probably fab'd more shit than you have seen. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tom Houston said:
I said in my post, the whole brackets are gone. In my 30 years of wheeling I have probably fab'd more shit than you have seen. :flipoff2:
hehehe..... :)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Tom Houston said:
Thanks underDAWG for the heads up on RE. I didn't know they made them. Ordered a set. And for WheelingPiazza welding a stud to an axle tube is a good way to rip a hole in your tube. Like I said in my post, the whole brackets are gone. In my 30 years of wheeling I have probably fab'd more shit than you have seen. :flipoff2:

Hahaha tell that to the landcruiser guys..

Besides that, if you had a clue you could make some bracing for it..

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
If you've fabbed that much shit how hard is it to cut 2 pieces of 1/8" ? ;)

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Or if you had an even bigger clue :idea: you could make your own from plate steel, or even just weld the stud to the spring plate, or.....

I dont care if you know 1800 times as much as me, dont come in here as a newbie and get high and mighty with locals. It like a new big dog coming into a pack of dogs territory....dont try and piss on our bushes :flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
And if you have been doing this so long and fabbed so much shit how come you cant find a damn shock mount? Hell, even Central 4x4 has those, and I didnt think they carried weld on parts :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
This thread cracks me up.

We have a self proclaimed Fabrication god wh can't think up a way to make simple shock mounts.

I am a lazy Polish rock crawler with a welder.

I just welded some studs right to my axle housing I knew I'd blow up the diff before I tore the shock mount off my tube.

If I wasn't so fawking lazy I bet I could make some Fabriart shock mounts just from some crap pile.

Grinder sawzall welder and a 12 pack.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you peckerwoods would read the original post you would see that I simply wanted to buy the mounts. Not that I could't do it. Sometimes it's just easier to spend a few bucks so you can have the time to do the fun things. To me shock mounts are a pain in the ass no brainer. :flipoff2: I'm trying to get the time to retube a front axle.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
and all we are saying is it takes literally about a half hour to make and mount the junk. few cuts with a sawzall acouple minutes with a grinder and a little welding and it's done.

That time calculation includes drinking lots of beer.

You say when you buy the brackets you save time for other things:confused:

Seems like your wasting that time looking for the shit when you could have had them already setup so you could get back to beating of:flipoff2:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mike. You showed me a few new sites I was not aware of.

For the rest of you guys, I never proclaimed myself a god. All I am saying is that when you work 60 hours a week and its 10 degrees outside and only about 50 in the shop, sometimes it a lot nicer to pay someone else to make the stuff that doesn't turn your crank. I have more work to get done in the next 4 weeks than I have time for. I am going to be going out of the country and I want to have my rig ready for EJS, but if I have to fab every little part, it isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
no problemo. they've all got a lot of cool stuff. Things like chassis tabs and cage gussetts are so cheap to buy why bother making them. FWIW I woulda just taken some 1/4" scrap welded a shock stud to that then welded that to the tube, that'd spread the load

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
That was my point in the orginal email

buy the shocks comes with studs, get some 1/8 plate to help with the load.

Simple and easy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I appreciate your view on how you would have done it WheelingPiazza, right now I'm sitting at work and I have the time to look, but not fabricate. Maybe I'm a pain in the ass perfectionist, but I like to make it not only work, but look better than it came from the factory. Right now I have more $$$ than I have time. Isn't that the way it is. If you have the time you don't have the bucks and if you have the bucks you don't have the time. I'm trying to squeeze in the time to put a stroker 4.7 I just built into an 85 XJ that wasn't designed for an inline six. I'm finishing the rebuild on an AX-15, and I'm trying to do a disk brake swap on the D44 and get it all done in about 10 days, all while working 60 hours a week. I might just pull it off if it doesn't snow too much or get to cold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts