Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the deal, i won't tell you all my setup, but my new lift allow more drop than compression. So I want to use that fact and have some longer shocks.

I did some brakets to convert my shock mounts to eye mounts all around and up and down. Now the result, I dunno witch shocks to choose, my lift is now 5 inches high and I was wanting to have some RS5000 on it...

Could I use some CJ shocks, I know there's plenty of it, and witch one sould I use???

Thank you for your help, I'm a bit lost.

·
Registered
825 Posts
You should be able to call up a vendor with the length you need extended and compressed and they should be able to hook you up with the corect shocks for your aplication.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the infos. I red some techs about the Ranchos and I saw that some of them are qualified by "soft" ... What does it mean? Do these shocks could be used in a single application or do they have to be dual??

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
RS5000's are not really that soft if thats what whatever you read is actually talking about; the damping. The 9000's are definitely a better shock.

Figure out how much up-travel you have by flexing until you find a point in which you want your tire to go no higher. Measure that point and find a shock that has the most avaliable down travel with same amount of up-travel that you measured.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm using RS5000's from a CJ on my measly 3" lift on my XJ. It works and that's what they're made for. I'm pretty sure Rancho's web site has measurements for all their shocks. Take a look, see what'll work if you want to keep using Ranchos. I'm sure RS500's won't handle it, you'll have to get 9000's or somethings...besides 5000's are only OK off-road and ride like crap on road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts