Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I am going to be running my shocks on the EB outboard. I need some pictures or preferably Cad drawing on how to tie them to my frame or cage most effectively. I also need some ideas for how to mount them up front. I have lower mounts on the radius arms, but no upper tower as of now.

here are a couple pics to look at. I completely removed my rear inner fenders last night all the way to the frame. I have access to a tubing bender... I am just trying to figure out how the best and easiest way to do this is. The shocks are Bilstein 6100 14" travel shocks.

sorry the pictures suck. Hopefully someone will be able to make something of it...

Doug

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
would i doi better to cross post this to general or Jeep tech? come awn guys..need some input.

Doug

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just removed the hangers from the original places on the diff and frame them reloctaed the diff ones on board of the spring about 2 inches. I then mounted the uppers on the existing crossmember at a 30 degree slope (towards the center) they are about 4 inches apart on the crossmember.

Gave me some more wheel travel and very little extra body roll.

But I'm not as crazy as most guys around here are.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion... but the shocks that I have are WAY too long to be mounted like that as low as I've kept my EB. I need some ideas on how to mount shocks... I'm thinking I'll mount them to the cage... any advice would help.

Doug

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW... what's the compression vs. droop like on EB leaves? Would I be allright having the shocks mounted with a lot more extension abiltiy than compression ability?

Doug

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Doug K said:
BTW... what's the compression vs. droop like on EB leaves? Would I be allright having the shocks mounted with a lot more extension abiltiy than compression ability?

Doug
This depends on allot. I could have compressed more when I had rear leaf springs but the tire was hitting the tub stopping it so that limited up travel. I was setup with far more down than up in the rear. If you are going to run them inboard at the top then tying into the frame is basic and what ever you want to do there is personal preference from tubing to rec tubing.
As for the front I basically looked at some tower hoops that the bronco places sell and made a set.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not going to be able to inboard the shocks.

I want to outboard, but was hoping for some pictures or cad drawings. I have cut my rear fenders out completely... i havent flexed it yet, but don't know where my uptravel will stop.

I wasd thinking I might need to intall bigger bumpstops.

Doug

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Doug, the only one that can answer your questions is you. You need to take your leaf's apart, put just the main leaf back on with a block of wood to simulate the width of the pack. Then cycle your rear suspenssion. Go full compression then full droop as well as one side comperssed and the oppsite at full drooped. Then the oppsite. After you have completely cycled the suspension you will know exactly where your bump stops have to go. You will also know what the lowest point you can place the shock, before it uses the shock as a bump stop. Now mount the shock so that you have about a inch of shock compression left at full compression. Depending on where that mounting point is is going to determin how to mount them. Same basic principle for the front. They way my rear shocks are mounted on my Bronco wont help you at all but my race truck have the shocks mounted to the cage.

These are all I have available right now but if you need a better pic let me know. I can snap some for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts