Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to toss some f-series shock towers on my 81 yoat. i am going to prep the surface and weld them to the frame with some custom butresses for extra strength. i am running a set of jeep cj rears up front, using the stock shackle and hangar points for now (in a few months i will be going to some custom drop hangars on a beefier crossmember).

are there any tricks or tips that you guys might have for this install?? is there anything that i should be extra wary of??

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I don't know, everyone says brace them but when I had my 85 DD/trail rig I had them on there with no brace and never had a prob.....Did the same on my 2wd-4wd swap DD but bracing never hurts...the only thing is take your time on the removal of the old mounts...grind it smooth makes the swap look way cleaner, not just a hack...And if you choose to cut the fender its always easier to cut less and trim more than put it back.....otherwise heat and beat the fender and it makes a nice dome over the tower...... what tools to you have access to...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have access to torches and all manner of welding equipment. i have got the old mounts off (one came off all on it's own :p on the way home from the trail) and prepped them to the point where one cannot tell that there was anything on the frame.

i plan on using some big assed angle iron to brace them across the back onto the frame. i am also going to add some buttresses on the perpendicular for extra strength.

there is no kill like overkill :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts