Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
90 Toyota SAS 6 inch lift 44044 leafs Just finishing up my SAS and I checked around a bit, looks like the most common applications of shocks for an SAS are Bilstein 5100's and Rancho 9012's They both are in the range of $65-$75 a piece but I wanted some opinions on them before I bought. Its agreeable that a shock serves one purpose and I'm sure they both work fine, but I'm talking in terms of how they treated you on the trails and such. I'm kinda thinking that my 44044's are stiff enough that I wouldn't need shocks up front. Also, could I get a cheap set of shocks elsewhere that would suit my needs? Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
tuckn18s said:
90 Toyota SAS 6 inch lift 44044 leafs Just finishing up my SAS and I checked around a bit, looks like the most common applications of shocks for an SAS are Bilstein 5100's and Rancho 9012's They both are in the range of $65-$75 a piece but I wanted some opinions on them before I bought. Its agreeable that a shock serves one purpose and I'm sure they both work fine, but I'm talking in terms of how they treated you on the trails and such. I'm kinda thinking that my 44044's are stiff enough that I wouldn't need shocks up front. Also, could I get a cheap set of shocks elsewhere that would suit my needs? Thanks
You always need shocks to stop the bouncing from the springs... the springs want to create a harmonic motion and the shocks stop that. I personaly Like the RS9000, even though they only have vavling in one direction, because they are adjustable, and also make it easier to side hill in your rig.

Garrett

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Take your shocks off and go wheel. You'll change your mind really fast. I've done it, and it's not much fun.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
1: You NEED the shocks. If you don't run shocks you will feel one bump about 20 times cause the truck will keep bouncing long after you've gone over a bump. They also help body role and swaying around at high speed. They also help to keep the tire on the ground and getting traction. Their not there to stiffen the ride :rolleyes:

2: Shocks are like underware,try different ones till you find which one do the best for you. Some guy's swear by Bilsteins,some Rancho's,some Pro-Comp, well you get the idea.

3: I think all the different brands of shocks are well made. The difference is some people like a little more dampning and some like a little less.

That said, I've had good luck with Rancho's and Bilsteins. I will probly run Rancho's on my Toyota just to save a little money. The Bilsteins and Rancho's I tried felt about the same but the Bilsteins were a little more cash. Some guy's say there's a night and day difference between shock brands. I feel it's driving style and how you like your rig to react to different condition's.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
anyone using doetsch shocks? Their web site says they make one with 14.5" of travel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have run rancho 9000's and i know have Bilstein 5100's under my truck know and i love them. Its alot nicer of ride on the road and off road its about the same as a 9000. Buy the H5 bilsteins they are pretty bling bling....:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Bilstiens are definately worth the money, RS9000s are not. The Rancho 5012 is reasonably priced and is the same dimensions as the 9012. You see them on sale alot. If you are going for cheap, remember that there are only a couple of shock manufacturers in the country who make shocks for everyone, so most likely all of the thirty dollar range shocks are probably the same shock. That being said. GO BILSTIEN, awsome shocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts