Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
So you agree?
Or you think the standard white box shocks that are still package with every lift kit are somehow different that the ones from the 80's?
White shocks are white shocks :)
What is it about the TTB that turns people into mullet wearin', trailer livin', sister fuckin' idiots incapable of understanding middle school level geometry?

As far as the shock cares there's nothing special about the TTB. It's no more demanding of shocks than any other IFS. If anything it's less demanding because the motion ratio between the shock and the wheel is greater than that of your typical A-arm IFS with suspension pivots much closer to the wheel. The Monroe and KYB budget line shocks work tolerably enough on every other IFS vehicle. They work fine on TTB trucks.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Bilstein's are on. It's a definite improvement. I dropped the bags to 25psi. What it feels like is the BDS shocks did nothing for the first inch or so of travel so it was in a constant state of motion, now it's not. I will report back if I don't think this is accurate after I put a few miles on it.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
What is it about the TTB that turns people into mullet wearin', trailer livin', sister fuckin' idiots incapable of understanding middle school level geometry?

As far as the shock cares there's nothing special about the TTB. It's no more demanding of shocks than any other IFS. If anything it's less demanding because the motion ratio between the shock and the wheel is greater than that of your typical A-arm IFS with suspension pivots much closer to the wheel. The Monroe and KYB budget line shocks work tolerably enough on every other IFS vehicle. They work fine on TTB trucks.
:rolleyes:
Cheap standard shocks cause large amounts of tire wear on TTB because of the massive camber changes.
Do you know what un even tire wear is, the lack of contact with the ground.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,540 Posts
I could be ass backwards but my reason for thinking I have minimal rebound was that BDS shocks are weak and slow to rebound and the Bilsteins rebound quickly with authority on the bench anyway. I know that is a over simplification but that's it.
The Bilsteins were bought to address the compression damping. The BDS are also have very weak compression damping imo. I don't think the truck even knows there are shocks on it. After driving it about 50 miles today I am thinking it has more to do with the shocks than anything else.

Anyone want to buy some BDS nitro shocks? They are great. :D
I also have a set of Superlift shocks, never even opened the box.
You are talking about the fact that the bilsteins are high pressure monotubes, while the BDS are lower pressure (if at all) twin tubes. Extension on the bench is not a good indicator of rebound damping. If it was, FYI slower is stiffer (more rebound)

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts
Good to know. Did you do upper mounts like this?
attached are a few pictures, two frames supports is not enough, plus i didnt like where the shock ends up on their and the other hoops.

I do know and that was really what the whole thread was about. The two sets of brand new shocks I have are so soft you can easily compress them by hand. I was concerned that meant they were actually for a 4 shock front end so I was trying to get verification my third set would be for a single shock per side setup. The new Bilsteins are way different than what I have. Good or bad we will see. I think they will allow me to drop the air bag pressure down and gain a little control of the springs.
thats because they are a shock without an IFP.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You are talking about the fact that the bilsteins are high pressure monotubes, while the BDS are lower pressure (if at all) twin tubes. Extension on the bench is not a good indicator of rebound damping. If it was, FYI slower is stiffer (more rebound)
Gotcha

attached are a few pictures, two frames supports is not enough, plus i didnt like where the shock ends up on their and the other hoops.

thats because they are a shock without an IFP.
Very nice setup. I am trying to keep the damn thing simple. Next thing you know I will be doing a major build. I have enough builds going onto keep me busy for awhile. I would love to copy your setup and I might have tried if I asked more questions early on. Now it's time to drive it for awhile.
Thanks for all the input everybody. I will update after some miles are on it.

·
Premium Member
14,076 Posts
So ditching the TTB for an SAS would simplify and improve front suspension?

BTW; I own a '94 Bronco.
Sorta but in stockish form there isnt much wrong with TV. Btw late 70s f150 stuff is almost bolt in. It's not hard at all to swap it in in a long day if you have everything in front of you.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts

BTW; I own a '94 Bronco.
Sorta but in stockish form there isnt much wrong with TV. Btw late 70s f150 stuff is almost bolt in. It's not hard at all to swap it in in a long day if you have everything in front of you.
Several of my old friends had Broncos/f150s that we solid axle swapped in like 79 ford Dana 44 front axles with the factory ford radius arm style suspension. Worked fine. My old xj was done that way because of it.

·
Premium Member
16,327 Posts

BTW; I own a '94 Bronco.
TTB has its place, so it would depend on what your end goal is.

·
Registered
17,543 Posts
TTB has its place, so it would depend on what your end goal is.
Good point.

Wants:
1) 37+"X12.5+" tires
2) One ton brakes
3) Characteristics of a straight axle while offroading.
4) Simple front axle suspension set up.
5) Axle shaft strength to handle 100+:1 gears with said 37+" tires.
6) WMS to WMS width without spacers.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So how does it ride with the bilsteins on it now?
It is much better. To me there was definitely a shock issue or just a shock that didn't suit my taste. I did a video before the shock swap and I need to make one in the same area to see if the difference can be seen. Best way to describe it was 1-2" of shock travel with no shock input. The springs were in charge and it had what felt like a constant little bounce going on(very slight but drove me nuts) Now the shocks are doing their job. I was able to drop the bags to 20 psi and the whole thing is close.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
So how does it ride with the bilsteins on it now?
It is much better. To me there was definitely a shock issue or just a shock that didn't suit my taste. I did a video before the shock swap and I need to make one in the same area to see if the difference can be seen. Best way to describe it was 1-2" of shock travel with no shock input. The springs were in charge and it had what felt like a constant little bounce going on(very slight but drove me nuts) Now the shocks are doing their job. I was able to drop the bags to 20 psi and the whole thing is close.
Cool. So which shocks did you specifically go with? The bronco specific bilsteins?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts