Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I made a "poor purchase decision" even though it was an absolute steal of a deal at the end of the day (Hopefully) I bought a clusterfunk of a 93 YJ that is mostly chevy and has a CJ front clip and dash. It has 70s (I think) K20 3/4 ton drive train with a D60 rear (spooled or welded unsure at the moment haven't taken the cover off) and a D44 Front (Open as far as I know) and an NP205 with TH350 combo and on 38.5 super swampers, it previously had a small block 350 that a PO pulled after they blew it up, that is what I had heard from the guy I got it from, he bought it from them straight out of a grass field but needed the driveway space as he wouldn't be able to get to it for a while (He was restoring a CJ8 and a CJ5 and his garage was 100% full, like boxes on top of boxes, shuffle between stuff to get to the jeeps it was awful but his jeeps looked sweet) so he needed it gone and sold it too me for 630 bucks. The frame needs some repair in the rear and some love fixing all the bullshit that was previously welded on improperly but the tub seems fine. I am on an absolute shoe string budget for this build and I need it going asap so I can prove it wasn't an absolute waste so I want to use as many of the parts I already have as possible. Build Ideas go as follows, It needs a completely new brake system run, PO was planning to do it so I have the new reservoir but all the lines have been cut, then It needs an engine, I am thinking of going with a 5.3 LS with an adapter to the TH350 because I can find a Truck or Tahoe with an LS for less than one with a 350 and Crate engines are off the table right now. With the 5.3 I would like to go ahead and pickup a 02 Tahoe or truck so I can take the wiring and any part I need or want off it like the AC or anything else I will inevitably think of. As well as I am going to fully rewire it with a painless wiring kit or something similar, because there is some funky stuff going on with the wiring and I personally think it would be easier than digging through the forest of wiring. I am going to keep looking at everything on paper but I need to make a full budget sheet before I start because I want to get everything done at once without 5 dollaring myself to death with trips to the parts store.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep YJ
62 Posts
LS swap parts are gonna add up quickly. Fuel system, PCM & Harness, exhaust, etc. If it's already set up for SBC I'd just throw another in there with a cheap HEI distributor and Holley carb. You can usually find complete 350 long-blocks on marketplace for under $500. Another $500 in odds and ends and you'd have a running Jeep.

Also check out the Speedway 22-circuit wiring kit. It's a lot like the Painless, but a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LS swap parts are gonna add up quickly. Fuel system, PCM & Harness, exhaust, etc. If it's already set up for SBC I'd just throw another in there with a cheap HEI distributor and Holley carb. You can usually find complete 350 long-blocks on marketplace for under $500. Another $500 in odds and ends and you'd have a running Jeep.

Also check out the Speedway 22-circuit wiring kit. It's a lot like the Painless, but a bit cheaper.
I agree except for the fact that for what I do I would much rather have fuel injection as I would not like to have to retune my carb when I travel to the mountains or be restricted by how much of an incline I can go up before I am dead in the water. As well as complete 350s are going for more like 1200 of marketplace unless they look like they sat outside tarped for years, but I could pickup a rusted out chevy and have everything I need except a cheap converter to the transmission. And I will check out speedway, there was a few other manufacturers I was looking at painless was just the most likely to be know by everyone

·
Registered
1982 Jeep DJ5 LQ9 V8
75 Posts
I agree except for the fact that for what I do I would much rather have fuel injection as I would not like to have to retune my carb when I travel to the mountains or be restricted by how much of an incline I can go up before I am dead in the water. As well as complete 350s are going for more like 1200 of marketplace unless they look like they sat outside tarped for years, but I could pickup a rusted out chevy and have everything I need except a cheap converter to the transmission. And I will check out speedway, there was a few other manufacturers I was looking at painless was just the most likely to be know by everyone
Defiantly starting to ramp the price up, but they do make EFI conversion carbs that might work for you.

Any engine swap will add up fast. I put an LS in my Jeep. Even though I got a good affordable engine, all the costs of wiring, management, engine mounts, cooling, fuel delivery, and so on add up REALLY fast. Even if I dont buy the fanciest parts and just stick to ACDelco parts, Im looking at multiple thousands of dollars to get my LS running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Defiantly starting to ramp the price up, but they do make EFI conversion carbs that might work for you.

Any engine swap will add up fast. I put an LS in my Jeep. Even though I got a good affordable engine, all the costs of wiring, management, engine mounts, cooling, fuel delivery, and so on add up REALLY fast. Even if I dont buy the fanciest parts and just stick to ACDelco parts, Im looking at multiple thousands of dollars to get my LS running.
Forgot about this fourm, I am going 5.3 LS from an 01 Silverado, I got a deal on the full running truck am getting lots of parts and knowledge from my new boss who has been doing LS swaps for 16 years and does them as side work, I have a full plan that will be updated on my build fourm soon. Thank you for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
1982 Jeep DJ5 LQ9 V8
75 Posts
Forgot about this fourm, I am going 5.3 LS from an 01 Silverado, I got a deal on the full running truck am getting lots of parts and knowledge from my new boss who has been doing LS swaps for 16 years and does them as side work, I have a full plan that will be updated on my build fourm soon. Thank you for the suggestion though!
Man I wish I had all the wiring, accessories, and everything ells that came on my LQ9. I didint even get air intake. That will save you a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I wish I had all the wiring, accessories, and everything ells that came on my LQ9. I didint even get air intake. That will save you a lot of time and money.
Yep, priced everything out, parts wise total I will be in about 3 grand including the jeep, truck, and odds n ends. All before parting out the truck, plus I got very lucky with my boss doing this for hire and having all kinds of leftover parts. His trail rig toyota on 40s has the almost same drivetrain I am using (5.3 DBC, TH400, NP205, chevy tons, only difference is mine is using TH350 and am on 3/4 ton chevy) photo is his rig in the shop, it drives great down the road even lifted on leafs and 40s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
You're definitely thinking right about the wiring cluster fuck. I've used the universal harnesses from BJs offroad a couple times. Iirc they're made by EZwire, like $240 for the 8 circuit.

I pretty tell anyone that wants me to look at a wiring problem that it'd be cheaper to rewire. Last CJ I did took like 3 days to wire up. Doable by putting in long hrs on a weekend for sure.

probably wrenchin instead of wheelin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're definitely thinking right about the wiring cluster fuck. I've used the universal harnesses from BJs offroad a couple times. Iirc they're made by EZwire, like $240 for the 8 circuit.

I pretty tell anyone that wants me to look at a wiring problem that it'd be cheaper to rewire. Last CJ I did took like 3 days to wire up. Doable by putting in long hrs on a weekend for sure.

probably wrenchin instead of wheelin
Yep, I am gonna go with the painless universal 21 circuit so I have everything plus extra in the future, I would rather rewire it all with a manual then try and fight stuff not working, 250 bucks for some piece of mind that it will work first shot. My plan is make everything fully functional before I drop the engine in, that way I only have to troubleshoot one part at a time rather than everything, plus it is easier to work around the engine bay without an engine in it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts