Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok could be a crude question but im curious to see what your all are doing as far as pissers in your shop. Funnels? bathrooms? whats your set up post pics. im brainstorming and plan on adding something in mine. im tired of walking out in the rain to wiz. thanks

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Just go around the corner.

I used to work for a guy that had a sink in the corner that drained out in the grass behind his shop. Yes we pissed in it.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I have my shop set up to put a small sink and toilet in it - but have yet to finish the bathroom because I dodn't want to hook into the house septic system, and I don't know enough about how to build a septic system to just build one for the shop alone.

Suggestions are welcome :p

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
built a small closet currently with a 5 gallon bucket. I dug a couple foot deep and filled it with gravel which I have been meaning to plumb the bucket into ... in my case the slab is 18 inch thick where I want to plumb it so I haven't got the hole drilled :(. so unfortunately is a nasty job to empty the bucket. I have two little girls and I wanted to protect them from my buddies pissing in the back yard.

I looked into those waterless urinals and they were way to expensive ... as gross as it is we only fill the bucket about half way with two guys drinking a lot of beer, so just keep that in mind when making your "septic" system.

Im going to make the urinal using a rectangular trash can with a large U cut out of one side and plumb it with 1.25 drain and p-trap this will go through my slab and into the "gravel" septic. I plan on having a few milk jugs with water in the closet to "flush".

arndog

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
As long as the soil drains fairly well in your area and doesn't stay frozen for prolonged periods, the drain into a gravel pit should work well - as long as you make sure none of your stupid drunkin buddies shit or puke in it to begin to clog it up.

I like the idea of having a couple gallons of water on hand to "flush" the system with. Definitely put in a p or j trap to keep the smell out.

As for me... I just water the foliage.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I.. go into the house :p

I do have a dog run on the sideyard that gets a lot of dog piss so I guess I could..

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have my shop set up to put a small sink and toilet in it - but have yet to finish the bathroom because I dodn't want to hook into the house septic system, and I don't know enough about how to build a septic system to just build one for the shop alone.

Suggestions are welcome :p
Septic is simple. You have 2 choices. A drain field with a tank or a cesspit. remember plumbing lines need 1/4" per foot of fall so for every 20' of pipe you need to go down 5" minimum.

The drain field works best if your shop is up hill from where you plan on putting the field this keeps the ditches shallower. The $hit runs into a tank and settles out. The other side has a line that goes to the field. The out side has perferated 4" pipe in a stone filled trench. Each trench should be atleast 18" wide and have at leats 12' of stone under the pipe and 2" of stone over the pipe, total stone 18" minimum. You can do one long trench or several shorter ones. If you go the several lines route you can get a small box that has multiple outlets so you can pipe the runs individually or use T's.

The cess pit is simpler. You can buy premade seepage rings. Basically a big perferated concrete pipe with a lid. Dig a hole deep enogh for the ring to be covered by at least 8" of dirt and lower than the outlet pipe for the bath room. Hole should be at least 3' wider than the ring. Fill the bottom with 18" of stone minimum. install the ring and pipe in the line. Fill around the ring with stone and top with dirt. You can also make the ring from cinder blocks. Make the ring of blocks about 5' in dia and leave 1/2" between each block. The next ring offset the blocks by 1/2 block like you see bricks stacked. Each ring gets smaller until they meet at the top or install a solid lid on the top of the blocks. Note wood makes a poor lid. It WILL rot and then collapse.

Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i just go behind the garage and water the trees. if i have to make #2, i'll head in the house. i've even learned to take the shoes off before i head in for business, the wife's damn near beat me with a bat for draging crud in on the boots:)

no need for fancy setups.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I started out with a 55 gal drum with a drain field and a shitter. I then added the office building onto the shop and went with a septic tank, extra bathroom, and shower. Now the wife can't bitch at me for getting the house dirty and greasy. The office also doubles as a kick ass game room...

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
90-95% of urine is water, the rest is uric acid and minerals. A hole dug a few feet deep and filled with gravel, charcoal and topped with a good quality top soil will drain very well.

Alternatively, a pipe could be run to a flower bed or planter with something like ground cover plants that are pretty hardy to take up the water and minerals.

A 5-10 gallon bucket with cedar shavings and baking soda works also, as does kitty litter, which typically has a high clay content. There is no odor.

Shit is not handled well by any of these applications, so dig a cat hole, go in the house or put in a shitter..

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
i like the ideas for urinal drains. assuming decent drainage properties of the local dirt, will these contraptions typically drain enough to keep up with pissing and flushing of a few people drinking beer and working all night?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
For the Summer time I built a 4 x 6' Outhouse with running water, and electricity. I hook it up to the Garden hose, and set it over the cleanout plug for my septic system. The waste drops right into the tank before the septic field. I pull it into place with my lawn tractor, and put it away in the back of my shop for the winter. I even ran copper tube up and over the roof for a solar water heater, works well enough to wash your hands. It's not in the shop, but it is half way, to the house, and its great for cookouts and parties.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
The cess pit is simpler. You can buy premade seepage rings. Basically a big perferated concrete pipe with a lid. Dig a hole deep enogh for the ring to be covered by at least 8" of dirt and lower than the outlet pipe for the bath room. Hole should be at least 3' wider than the ring. Fill the bottom with 18" of stone minimum. install the ring and pipe in the line. Fill around the ring with stone and top with dirt. You can also make the ring from cinder blocks. Make the ring of blocks about 5' in dia and leave 1/2" between each block. The next ring offset the blocks by 1/2 block like you see bricks stacked. Each ring gets smaller until they meet at the top or install a solid lid on the top of the blocks. Note wood makes a poor lid. It WILL rot and then collapse.

Hope this helps. Pm me if you have any questions and I'll try and answer them.
I'd like to hear more about building one out of cinder blocks. I figure I'll be dropping #2 in the shop *very* rarely, and most will be #1, and the occasional hand washing from a *small* sink.

I assume I'd just run the 4" from the toilet into the cess pit near the top?

Do I still do a gravel bottom for 18" or so? What size stone?

Cinder blocks stacked standard with the holes up/down, or with the holes to the outside?

Gravel around the cinder blocks, or not? Would it be smart to use some kind of adhesive to secure the rings, to make sure they don't shift over time and collapse?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts