Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? Our high school shop class is going to build a stock class rockcrawling competition TJ and compete in the NEUROC series this spring. After we compete 2 seasons, we will give the Jeep away to the lucky ticket buyer. We hope to raise $ to but a CNC mill.
PS We are starting with a bare frame and body donated by Davey's Jeeps of Salem OH

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Hey Teach that is sweet!! I would have dumped those Biology classes to take some more shop classes if we could have built something like that in school.

If you need some help or some direction as far as where to get stuff or what to do, do not heisitate to contact me or Katrina.

Doug Bigelow
Supermod Neuroc Competitior #105
[email protected]

·
Registered
539 Posts
:smokin:

Wow! That is a GREAT idea and those kids are gonna love that!

All I remember building in shop class was an ashtray and a wooden toolbox. :shaking:

·
Registered
477 Posts
That would have completely changed my future if we had that in HS. So much for AP Calc, Physics, etc... I would have been in shop instead. Take plenty of pictures of the build up. :smokin:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Why couldn't my high school have ever done something like that? :mad3: Should be interesting to see how it turns out. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
THAT ROCKS!!! Lucky students in deed. I hope there are at least a few that take advantage of it as much as Id love to !!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hey,thats freakin awesome. All we did was chop a bike and not put an engine in it and made a snowblower into a I forget what it is the thing that churns up the dirt. I hope everything goes well with that and good luck. Oh one more thing GO BIG on everything

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I got to make slim jims in shop class. :smokin:

Hey teach, I don't know what resources you have, but I can "point you in the right direction" for cheap/free parts and cheap/free experience in building a Jeep. I'm in Toledo, and a Toolmaker by trade, Jeepbreaker by choice.

Not too many "extreme rockcrawlers" in OH that I know of. But there are ALOT of peeps that know Jeeps and building them up. Some also have alot of stuff "laying around" or would be willing to let go for a good price or possible tax deduction.

Pirate is the place to find all knowledge about rockcrawling vehicles.

Will help any way I can.

e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
shopteach said:
i plan to go to paragon for the last neuroc event this year, anyone else going?
Yep. Sitting in 5th in the Super Mod Series right now. PLease come introduce yourself.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We appreciate the offers for help! Thanks for the positive feedback too. Some people think we should build a jeep and give it away (not compete) because no one will want a used comp rig. what do you think? we plan to keep it well maintained...

·
Premium Member
6,070 Posts
Cool. My kids built a Jeep last year. It is a Willy's Wagon on 38's with Wagoneer running gear etc.

I say go for it, they will love it.

I'm a "shop teacher" as well. We are finishing the Jeep off this fall.

Good luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good idea hit up 4wd hardwear their not to far from you, get these damn kids away from imports im sick of them. :shaking:

·
Registered
191 Posts
That is an awesome project. The things that the kids build in the shops at school there must put the things that get built around here to shame. At my high school I think there would be about 2 people that could/would do work that wouldn't be scary on a trail rig let alone a comp rig. :laughing:

Want to move your class to portland?

good luck

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
scoot said:
Davey's Jeeps of Salem OH is he the one that sells wrecked jeeps ? and If so do you have any info on him, thanks
Yes, Davey's Jeeps has literally hundreds of jeeps whole or parts for sale from 1941-present. He has rubicon unlimiteds........ect. 330 337 5037 home. remember EST zone. he has really helped our project get started, he donated a 2002 TJ body tub, hood, grille, and a 99 TJ frame. great guy!

1 - 20 of 155 Posts