Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 533 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wll there has not been a real good shop build thread in a while and I ave been wanting to build my shopfor a long time. My wife and I have had land here at home (fayetteville ar) for about 5 years b have been living in Dallas. We have wanted to move back home for a couple years and was offered the Service Director at the Mercedes dealership(lateral move from current job), so this was our chance. We have 10 acres just off the White River...

The plan is to build the shop with an appartment in it so we can live in the shop while building our house and later turnig the appartment into a pool house.

The specs are 40x100 with 14 foot side walls.
The appartment will be 40x25 (1000 sq ft) not to badfor a 1 bedroom appartment.
The shop space will be 75x40 (3000 sq ft)
2 10x10 doors and 1 10x12 door.
Across the front of the building will be porch 10 wide and 40 long with twin doors opening up from the living area and the bedroom...

More to come...

JOSH

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
THis is the first time I have built anythig like this. I am no constructionworker for sure..

It has been one battle after another...

First thing was whey I went ot the planning commision I was given some guidelines to follow and my build was approved (Im just inside the city limits)

One guideline was I needed to have a 25 foot easement (SP) across my wifes aunts land from the road. So I had the land surveyed with it reflecting th easement and Itook it to the planning commision about a month later and they would not give me my stamp because just the week before they changed the rule to being 30foot so I have to have the survey rednone and reprinted. So I did and I got started...

I contracted a guy to build m driveway and pad for the building to be built on.The driveway is 1275 fee long from the road to the pad... I wanted a good firm foundation so I asked for the road to be dug down 1 foot and filled back with red rocky hillside dirt and compacted with a vibrating roller... Gravel and concrete will come after all the construction is done and the big trucks are out of there...

On the pad I asked that it be dug down 3 foot and filled with the same red rocky hillside dirt and compacted every 1 foot with the vibrating roller to make sure it was good and solid...

The planning commision said I did not have to get my builders purmit right away as long as I had it before did anything more than digging my footing because that was the first due inspection. I was also told the building needed to be 20 feet off the property line and I wanted it in the corner as much as possible to thats what I did, (20 from the property lines)

A couple weeks later I get my building permit because the pad was done and I was about to start digging the footing...

Thats when te lady handed me a packet with all the official ""GUIDELINES"" and I see there is a rule abut the building being 25 fot from the property lines not the original 20 feet... SOOO I asked and was told that that rule changed a couple weeks ago and this is the new rule...

So I had to have the dirt contractor come back out and add onto the pad to move the building over and up 5 feet...

After all that was done I started digging my footing....

More to come, the drama is about to start!!!
JOSH

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Very cool! I have been waiting for a new shop build for awhile! Keep it coming and don't be stingy with the pic! :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool! I have been waiting for a new shop build for awhile! Keep it coming and don't be stingy with the pic! :D
No problem I am working on loading some pics now. I know most guys dream is to have a big shop and an appartment inside...

after the house is build is is going to be a great (dog house) hehe, with a kegarator!!!:D

JOSH

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Guess this calls for a talk with the dirt people about the difference between what you paid for and what you got :eek:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Guess this calls for a talk with the dirt people about the difference between what you paid for and what you got :eek:
Here is that talk. This is the Dirt COntractors truck. (his is the white GMC and mine is the black Mega cab 3500) I called him up and told him he had problems and it would be best to come out and take a look at my pad. I warned him this was one of those times he had better be carefull with his words and attitude..

Oh did I say how much this 3 inches of dirt cost me??? 15,000 BIG ONES...

I was hot to say the least...

JOSH

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since he has fixed the pad, and I am still hot about the deal because it has set me back nearly another month of progress but atleast it is right now.. Oh and I had to have him come out and fix it a 3rd time before it was correct... I dont understand, I guess he just felt like trying to rip me off or something. he came highly recommended and has the contracts for all the dirt work on the TocoBells and KFCs in Arkansas and Oklahoma???:shaking:

JOSH

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
The overall project sounds like exactly what I have plans to do for in the future... hopefuly after prices keep dropping ;)

Sucks about your dirt... let us know what they do about it!

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
Since he has fixed the pad, and I am still hot about the deal because it has set me back nearly another month of progress but atleast it is right now.. Oh and I had to have him come out and fix it a 3rd time before it was correct... I dont understand, I guess he just felt like trying to rip me off or something. he came highly recommended and has the contracts for all the dirt work on the TocoBells and KFCs in Arkansas and Oklahoma???:shaking:

JOSH
Guess you replied 2 minutes while I was writing mine... glad he made it right but crappy start :/

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I now have the footing dug and the rebar laced up and ready to poor the concrete in the footing but the inpector has to look at the rebar and I just foundout he is in Hot Springs for some kind of convention...

If I didn't have bad luck I would not have any luck at all!!!

I will post tomorrow the footing and Rebar... I will post every step I can since I am learning as I go and i am sure there are others outthere that would like to see the process...

JOSH

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Tip: Be extremely courteous to the inspector and don't mention the troubles you've had up to this point.

I'm curious what he will say about the footing because from the pictures you've posted, you don't have anything that will pass inspection here in TN.

1 - 20 of 533 Posts