Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got so excited to get a box of MOG parts, I'd thought I would share. Also, these pinion conversion are different than most as they use a yolk the fits the pinion, without bolting to a flange.
Thanks to Taradon for sending me these and making a really SHORT conversion for the MOG diffs. Any questions about them just send taradon a PM.
Don't show my wife this pics as the coffee table is not for parts displays!

Oh, and that other part is one of the burly custom axles to fit my narrowed housings. I may have to get the other sides done as they make the stock MOG inners look weak. :p

·
Registered
787 Posts
It´s a nice looking conversion. But i wouldn´t trust the short splines in the yoke , espec. if the yoke is cast. That`s only my opinion.

·
Registered
471 Posts
As for the short splines, they are 1.5" long and I was worried too, after testing we decided that it was plenty strong. In fact one of my customers who runs 44's and 550 horse big block power got all jammed up and was riding on a rock, he broke the ears clean off and the only thing that remained was the splined center where the splines were. I am confident enough to bolt it to the rear of my 475 horse, 48" tired beast.

Taradon Ent.
Don Henry

·
Registered
471 Posts
They go for 250US per end, they come with machined torque tube, seal, custom yoke, custom washer to bolt on seal.

Thanks
Don Henry

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wolfgang said:
It´s a nice looking conversion. But i wouldn´t trust the short splines in the yoke , espec. if the yoke is cast. That`s only my opinion.
TARADON ROCKS just wate till you see his 21st century mog goodys .oops i did it again sorry taradon:D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wolfgang said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
1310 Short conversion ?

Hello guys

For my project 404 axle on Wrangler TJ, I have a couple of question:
The distance between transfer case and axle are very short, specially on the rear.
Is it possible to have your new conversion for 1310 yoke ?
Or a normally flange/flange yoke will give enought place for a real shaft ?
What are your opinion about it ?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got a chance to install the kit on one of my diffs. Here are the pics.
#1: Cut pinion shaft:

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last one: profile to giva an idea on length of kit. And yes I know I need to clean up my messy shop. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
LOVE the pics! "Could" you share the P/N of the seal? And is the Yoke a standard Spicer P/N or is it a custom job? Not trying to run anyone out of business, but I'm on a budget too, and have Machine shop access...

WEPS

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
weps said:
LOVE the pics! "Could" you share the P/N of the seal? And is the Yoke a standard Spicer P/N or is it a custom job? Not trying to run anyone out of business, but I'm on a budget too, and have Machine shop access...

WEPS
Weps,

I didn't look at the seal part number before the install. The yolk is a custom machined unit. I bought it as a kit from Taradon. You'll have to contact him for the information. For the time to machine the parts, I feel the cost is worth having him do the work. Plus its probably the shortest pinion conversion out there which really helps me due to the tight clearances in my chassis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello,
Is this new system only by Tarandon ?
I find this a little to expensive when compared to the usually pinion conversion.

Wolfgang, do you make also this type of conversion ?
What will be the price?
What about EXAXCT Canada ?

Cruiserrg : do you have some mesure of this short conversion ?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as I know, Taradon is the only one with this type of conversion. I could be wrong, so check with the other guys.

The length of the conversion ends up with the center of the yolk in about the same location as the end of the pinion would be. Its about 19" from the centerline of the diff. As you can see with the pics the pinion needs part of the splined section removed.

HTH

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gunracer1 said:
how hard was it to drill the new bolt hole in the pinion shaft? and how deep did you have to drill it? mike
It actually wasn't too bad. I had Don send me a piece that slid over the pinion that had a hole drilled on center. This kept the drill straight and on center. I used a drill bit made for hard steel. I drilled about 0.75" and taped it with a bottoming tap fine thread.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Swiss Jeeper
It´s possible to cut our conversion to make it shorter. It´s than the same lenght than Teradons´conversion.
But you loose strenght for sure with shorter splines!!!
Make it only so short if you really need it!!

Wolfgang

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wolfgang said:
Swiss Jeeper
It´s possible to cut our conversion to make it shorter. It´s than the same lenght than Teradons´conversion.
But you loose strenght for sure with shorter splines!!!
Make it only so short if you really need it!!

Wolfgang
I agree, only as short as you need it. And you can make ours shorter too. Or ask us to do it for you at no extra charge. Plus, bonus, ours is cheaper!

--Rob
www.exaxt.ca

1 - 20 of 20 Posts