Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking of buying a new tow rig/dd F250 S/D. My problem is, I only drive 3 miles each way to work. Will I be damaging a diesel engine by driving it such a short distance? I know it's not really good for any engine to be driven such short distances on a daily basis, but will it be harder on a diesel? There are weeks at a time that this will be the only mileage it sees.
(I really need to get a life)

If I go with a gas engine, how is the power of the Ford V8? 7,000# trailer and necessary extras.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
my commute takes me right about 5 min... and i really don't like doing it, the truck actually starts to run like ass after a few day's if i don't make a long loop around town to really warm it up and get some carbon out of it...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I commute 4 miles in my 2001 PSD. Does not seem to mind it, but on cold days it does not even warm up by the time I get there. Poor Truck never gets a break; it is either driven around town empty, or on the hwy with camper and jeep in tow. Does it all well.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically, blow the carbon out once a week and keep the oil changed regularly, it should be fine?

·
Change is good.
35,184 Posts
Well it depends on where you live. You're in SoCal, but where? If it's Palm Springs you should be fine, if it's Carlsbad you might have some problems. It depends on how much moisture is present.

After you shut the truck off, condensation will form inside the motor as it cools, and by driving it 20 minutes or more the next day it will evaporate and not cause a problem. But by driving only 3 miles at a time, the condensation can and will build up in your engine oil, tranny and diffs. Water in these areas is not good for the obvious reasons.

I like the motorcycle idea, or some $300 beater.

Doc

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Roc Doc said:
Well it depends on where you live. You're in SoCal, but where? If it's Palm Springs you should be fine, if it's Carlsbad you might have some problems. It depends on how much moisture is present.

After you shut the truck off, condensation will form inside the motor as it cools, and by driving it 20 minutes or more the next day it will evaporate and not cause a problem. But by driving only 3 miles at a time, the condensation can and will build up in your engine oil, tranny and diffs. Water in these areas is not good for the obvious reasons.

I like the motorcycle idea, or some $300 beater.

Doc
yup i drive a beater for this reason for quick trips or i take the wifes car.

usually always try to use my truck if i know its going to get ran long enough to warm up and then some!

jiMMy

·
Chubby Chaser
26,105 Posts
offroad_joe said:
So basically, blow the carbon out once a week and keep the oil changed regularly, it should be fine?
Joe you need a bicycle :flipoff2:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I got a bike to ride to work. One mile just doesn't justify starting up the truck. The diesel doesn't even warm up till you drive it for a few miles anyways. It's great to have for towing though. Good luck on your decision.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,010 Posts
offroad_joe said:
If I go with a gas engine, how is the power of the Ford V8? 7,000# trailer and necessary extras.
I would not even consider the Ford V8 a viable option in a 3/4 ton truck for our kind of towing duties.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Take a side trip and get a cup of coffee so your driving it a little longer.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
DRM said:
I would not even consider the Ford V8 a viable option in a 3/4 ton truck for our kind of towing duties.
Ditto,
Take a look at ford's ratings for a 5.4 f250, it's almost nothing when you start thinking about throwing a trail rig and trailer back there. If you must go gasser then get a v10.

Personally I'd look at a bike either human powered or gas powered or one of those little gas powered scooters all the little lazy kids around here are running around on. If you have to drive it to work on the rainy days then it wont' kill it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've seen the condensation thing happen. It scared the hell out of us the first time. We thought we blew something up! That was on a 91.5 CTD.

I just moved, my commute to work just went from 27 miles one way to 4. I'm going to drive a beater to work. The Jeep. LOL. It isn't truly "legal" but it is licensed and tagged. Gonna swap out the spool. Heck 4 miles the Jeep should actually be kinda fun to drive. Oh and the posted speed limit never goes over 35 for my new trip.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
what exactly did you see happen?

i can drive mine to work and leave it running for a half hour if need be, or i can drive the jeep..but this new truck is just a pleasure to drive :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts